SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-16, 08:21 AM   #1
green Rhino

Default I'm new

Hi

I'm new here...

Have been a fan of SV's for many a year, my first road bike was almost one..but I brought a fire breathing husky..I bet a SV would have spent more time actually on the road!

I have given up League this year and decided to take up flat/short track. I don't have £7k for a converted ccm/rotax thunder bike (!!!!) so thought I would make one out of an sv! They seam like a great bike for it if I drop a couple of teeth on the front!

One thing I need to change is the wheels as I don't think you can run three spokes, I read some place that you can fit 95/96 cbr600 wheels which are 5 spoke to a curvy. Is this true?

Another potential issue is Alterations to the air box..is that a major problem? I might need to doctor it to run a smaller fuel tank/cell. I was going to put a dyno jet kit on it as well.

One thing I read was that sv's chew up 2nd gear? Is this true can they be replaced with reasonable ease? I would have thought that 2nd gear would get a fair amount of abuse while I'm starting out.

I suppose my next question is...anyone know of a cheap(sub £500) project? Or ex track/super twin bike?
Old 12-10-16, 01:44 PM   #2
NedSVS

Default Re: I'm new

Hi and welcome. I used to have five spoke CBR600F3 (1995-1998 IIRC) on my curvy 2001 SV650S. The worst problem was that you could not use standard front brake calipers, because the pad locating pin would hit the floating disc buttons. I used 4 pot GSXR600 calipers on adapter plates to get around this problem. The actual mods needed would vary slightly depending on whether you use a curvy (1999-2002) or a pointy (2003 on).
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 01:50 PM   #3
green Rhino

Hi

Thanks
Brakes are not a problem as you are not alowed to run a front brake in flat track!
I'm presuming rear disc and sprocket alignment were ok?
Old 12-10-16, 04:24 PM   #4
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by green Rhino View Post
I'm presuming rear disc and sprocket alignment were ok?
On the curvy SV you have to shorten the sprocket side spacer by about 4mm and reduce it's ID from 20mm to 17mm and similarly on the sprocket carrier too (I used some tube to make a sleeve). Pointy SV already has 20mm rear spindle. The rear wheel bearings can be changed to 17mm bore ones or sleeved - I changed them for the 17mm bore bearings. The rear brake plate will need to be modified and a custom spacer made. The curvy rear disc is, IIRC, 20 mm larger than the Honda F3 disc so you will need to source a suitable disc or , as I did, convert to a pointy rear disc and caliper at the same time - as the pointy rear disc is the same diameter as the F3. The overall width of the rear assembly was a few mm wider than the standard SV but still fitted in the swinging arm OK. The front requires a sleeve between the OD of the bearing and its' housing 1mm thick (to reduce the diameter by 2mm) which I pressed and glued in with engineering glue. There are no suitable direct fit bearings to get from 20 to 17mm bore to the best of my knowledge. You will need custom spacers for the front. Here's a link to the original thread:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=81534
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote