SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-12-12, 12:41 AM   #1
theCave

Default TPS and Idling Oddity - Pointy

Hi all,

Merry Christmas!

A few months ago my Pointy (SK6) started misbehaving, struggling to maintain normal idle speed and cutting out. At first it was just when it was cold then it started doing it at random intervals even when warm and became dangerous (like cutting out just as I wanted to execute a right turn from a stationary position).

So having read through a few threads on here, I had the tank up and adjusted the TPS. For sure this resolved the issue of the stalling immediately, however I can at times (usually from a cold start but again at times when its already warm) hear the engine note drop a little as if it were struggling to maintain the revs (I have it set to idle around 1400 and I notice it drop to 1100).

Its done just over 24k miles (I've just done my 24k service and tbh I haven't been out on it for a few days), and has no prior history of issues.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or any suggestions on what else I could check?

Cheers!
Old 28-12-12, 09:26 PM   #2
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: TPS and Idling Oddity - Pointy

Did you make sure the engine temp was high enough when doing the TPS? I didn't quite have mine high enough and it gave me all sorts of headaches. Watched the Suzuki TPS adjustment video on youtube and it showed me where I was going wrong.

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-12, 10:43 PM   #3
xXBADGERXx

I have a thread on here with exactly the same problem , I bought 2 new plugs after lifting the tank and faffing about with the Wizzardry , turns out it was old plugs , although none of the symptoms pointed at that being the main reason .

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=128642

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 28-12-12 at 10:46 PM.
Old 29-12-12, 08:49 AM   #4
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I think 1 or 2 others have also had the same issue badger.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-12, 10:35 AM   #5
xXBADGERXx

I had gone through all sorts of options and it seemed to point at the TPS and similar . The way the bike behaved was very odd and it was also dry at the time ...... swapped the plugs out and it turns out they were the original OEM plugs and well past their time for binning .
Old 29-12-12, 12:31 PM   #6
Stenno

My TPS sensor on my K5 gave up at about 24Km. Spannerman and myself adjusted it a few times which would solve the issue for 3-6 months but it slowly went out of range again over time. Ahead of a trip to Europe I bit the bullet and replaced it. It's been fine ever since.

Follow the guide and then test it again a few days/weeks later to see if it's moving.
Off the top of my head, with the idle range settled, check its at 11-1200rpm. The TPS line on your dash should move from the mid point to the top point at about 15-1700rpm however overtime mine wasn't moving until almost 5000rpm.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stenno; 29-12-12 at 12:32 PM.