SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-08, 10:01 PM   #1
beeniemac

Default Thinking of getting an SV

I currently have an RF600R and although its a lovely bike, I have been hankering over an SV650 for a fair few years. Only the curvy comes into my budget, and I cannot really find anywhere where I could get a test ride of one The bike will be for commuting in and around Manchester next year!

I'd like to know how it will compare to my bike, if anyone has ridden both your input would really be valued!!

Oh, and are all the screws, nuts and bolts still made of cheese or did they upgrade them for the SV?
Old 10-07-08, 09:12 AM   #2
Neeja

Default Re: Thinking of getting an SV

My older brother had an RF600R for quite a while (before it was totalled by a white van ), loved it to bits. However, once September comes and he's eligible for a loan, he's going for an SV650, as he had a go on mine and fell in love. It's a second-hand opinion, but he says they're much nicer all-round (and I know from being pilly on his that they're more comfy!)

Nuts and bolts still aren't great, but I recall him having more problems with his when working with the RF than I do with my SV. Having said that, you can also buy stainless bolt packs to change most bolts over - I'm saving up to do just that
Old 10-07-08, 09:16 AM   #3
SV_Leeds

Ive had my '02 SV650s since May and I absolutely love it. The nuts and bolts were a bit knackered when I got mine, as the previous owner hadnt done the best job with the upkeep. A bit of TLC and replacing them with stainless steel ones seems to have done the job though.
Old 10-07-08, 09:42 AM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeniemac View Post
Oh, and are all the screws, nuts and bolts still made of cheese or did they upgrade them for the SV?

All the SVs nut and bolts are made of the finest mature stilton! I replaced half of mine with stainless but haven't got round to some of them.
Theres nowt wrong with curvys, but, remember the oldest will be ten year old now, you can still pick up a stunner for your money if you look well, and some cheap ones that just need a little TLC

One of mine has been in the family since new, and has been used for commuting in all weathers, but she wasn't looked after back then, and this year needed a total rebuild....but now looks like a brand new bike.
My other older SV has been pampered all its life(down south), but this year will need the subframe powdercoated, cause it couldn't live up to northern weather) But thats all

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 10-07-08 at 09:45 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote