SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-10, 11:22 AM   #1
vtwinthunder

Exclamation Clutch drag.

i have a sv650s 2002 curvy carb model and the clutch is dragging if its in 1st gear itll try and creep away from me, and if i turn the engine off for 5 mins then turn it back on and ride it the gearbox is really solid and the clutch is really noisy when im idling

any ideas would be much appreciated thanks
steve
Old 09-09-10, 11:30 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help my clutch !!!

Sounds like it needs adjusting, try the handlebar end adjuster first. I find the locknut comes loose really quickly for some reason (not much use as a locknut then I know). Failing that, do a search on here for how ot adjust it, there's a thing at the bottom by the front sprocket as well though this doens't need attention very often.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 11:30 AM   #3
warrenhewitt10

have you tried adjusting it at the handle bar?
Old 09-09-10, 11:34 AM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Actually see post no.2 here
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=61698
for adjusting the lifter jobby. They're made of cheese though (the rotating lifter) so if it's anything like 20k+ miles then it might be in bad shape. Easy to open up and cheap/easy to replace though.
Old 09-09-10, 11:35 AM   #5
husky03
Mega Poster

The handle bar adjuster is for the clutch lever, to adjust the clutch its the adjuster at the bottom-check the worm drive and see how you get on.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 11:46 AM   #6
vtwinthunder

Cheers yh its wierd though i adjusted it fully out on the handle bar and played around with the bottom but the adjuster locking nut is loose is that normal ? like it stops the thread being moved but its a bit looose and also it has a mind of its own it draggs when it wants too and the gearbox goes stiff when it wants too :S ? really wierd engines done 8000 miles on it
Old 09-09-10, 03:23 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'd pull outhe lifter thing, it's easy, sprocket cover off, slacken the cable, and unscre it. Open it up (carefully) and inspect the worm (screw thread on large middle bit). It's made of plastic and the small ball bearings tend to eat up the surface. They're about £25 or so to replace. If it looks okay then check its adjustment (centre screw) then re-set the cable. The locknut at the top should tighten against the bracket, but mine seems to come loose with the vibes quickly, you really need to nip it tight with something once you have the adjustment right.
Old 10-09-10, 09:32 AM   #8
vtwinthunder

Default Re: Clutch drag.

I see yes when i get a chance ill take the cover off you think maybe the plates maybe sticking ? or the arm might not be releasing as it should ? like i say it only drags when it wants too mainly when its warm and the gearbox tends to go stiff when i leave the bike for 5 mintutes then i return to it
Old 10-09-10, 11:52 AM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch drag.

Unlikely to be the clutch itself, more likely to be the lifter mechanism is either knackered or needs adjusting. Easiest to check and re-try anyway.