SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-01-13, 04:44 AM   #1
Eviltoy

Default Steering damper? Pointy

Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a steering damper for my 03 sv650? The thing about it has a 06 GSXR 600 front end so I dont have a stock damper to put on. Are there kits out there for such a set up since a lot of people do the conversion to GSXR front ends? I know Scotts dampers were the thing to have in the past but there are others out now. Of the 2 different stiles of dampers what do you like best?
Old 02-01-13, 08:22 AM   #2
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Re: Steering damper? Pointy

Out of interest why do you think you need one? The sv1000 has the same damper as the gsx-r which fits between a boss on the left fork and a threaded hole on the underside of the steering tube. I've recently taken mine off as it was knackered and the handling improved massively. My recommendation is if you don't need one, don't put one on but if you absolutely do need one, get the best one you can afford.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.

Last edited by Mark_h; 02-01-13 at 10:15 AM.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 03:03 PM   #3
Eviltoy

I dont know if an SV needs one. They say an 03 GSXR didn't need one but there was a couple times that I got enough out of my 03 GSXR to scare me. Does the second gen SV650 need a damper for the tight twisties?
Old 02-01-13, 03:36 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

SV650's don't need them on the road.
If your able to get a big moment on the road your pushing way to hard, have you had in-line4's in the past?

Chance you need to adjust the suspension

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 03:36 PM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

If your able to get a big moment on the road your pushing way to hard, have you had in-line4's in the past?

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13, 01:32 AM   #6
Eviltoy

I have had in-line4s. 2000 GSXR 750 and 2003 GSXR 1000. Not counting the 70's CB 750's and 550's I have had in the past.

I love the twisties and I push my bike when I ride them. There was only a few times I got any shake on my GSXR's, it's when I came out of a corner a little to hot with transitions in the road, but when your in the hills that I ride in theres no room for head shake.
Old 03-01-13, 02:48 AM   #7
Merv121

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post

i actually believe that too about not needing one, BUT...i actually hit a wet railway crossing (4 sets of lines) on a banking corner tonight at 42 (yes i know too fast) which caused the bike to go sidewards and into a HUGE tankslapper which i could have used a damper to save, luckily i saved it and avoided a huge smash up but the riders behind me said it looked like i wasnt coming back from that after the bike went sideways, actually considering a damper for my sv after that tonight
Old 03-01-13, 02:49 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

it's your suspension not set up properly or play in your swingarm.

here in Scotland we have what can only be described as very twisty roads. i used to get the odd headshake but its all mostly been eliminated by dialing in my suspension and reduced play in the swingarm.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13, 04:58 AM   #9
Eviltoy

I haven't had a chance to dial in my suspension on my SV yet. I just got it about a month ago. My guess is that I don't really need a damper by the sounds of things. I might put one on before summer gets here just for piece of mind. Thanks