SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-14, 08:37 PM   #21
Juju

Default Re: SV650 brake improvements?

My bike is a 51 plate. Every winter without fail the brakes seize up, if parked for more than a couple of weeks.

Last service, they told me the brakes needed rebuilding, and I agreed. One expensive service and mot later, The performance is now, in my view, for the size, style and speed/use of the bike, absolutely fine. I'venever had a need, or desire, to stop faster than I do, and I feel sure I could lock the front wheel if I should.

I's wager people who criticise the braking, are either comparing with a sports bike, or haven't had the brakes fully overhauled in a long time.
Old 14-07-14, 02:08 PM   #22
jambo
Mega Poster

One thing sometimes missed while rebuilding the calipers, cleaning the discs and replacing the pads...

Pop the lever off, give everything a nice clean up, and reassemble with a dab of grease, including a spot of red rubber grease on the face of the master cylinder contact point. A gummed up lever with a flat face worked onto the point where it touches the master cylinder can leave you with quite poor feeling brakes, even if the calipers are doing their thing quite well.

Jambo
Old 17-07-14, 11:58 AM   #23
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

My brakes work really well, but then I do this every now and again.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

This is the short version, there is a longer one, but it is only longer because it is full of swearing, farting and other distractions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-14, 01:23 PM   #24
Balky001
Mega Poster

If your brakes are in good condition (caliper and discs), new fluid and sound lines (you said you have HEL) and banjos are air tight, I found the EBC or SBK HH sintered pads really helps. If you want to splash out £200 the Brembo radial mastercyclinder can add a lot more feel to your braking.
Old 17-07-14, 01:56 PM   #25
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: sv650 brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Gotta laugh every time I read "they'll do the job". It's a perfectly valid question to wonder if there's better calipers out there, and there is.

[].....
But with that in mind, the stock SV brakes in good working order and using braided hoses are good enough to stop that bike on its nose.

You'll soon notice shortcomings in front suspension and tyre grip and the road surface before you beg for more caliper power. They are certainly not crap, but aren't as powerful as bigger better brakes.

9 times out of 10 I think what is being described by posters is brakes that need a damn good overhaul rather than an upgrade.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 08:53 AM   #26
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Do braided steel lines have a service life? Other than if damaged, staringly bloody obviously.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 08:59 AM   #27
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Do braided steel lines have a service life? Other than if damaged, staringly bloody obviously.
Dont think so no, certainly not in the same way as rubber hoses that can perish.

The braided hoses are typically teflon/ptfe tubes surrounded by braided steel covers for protection. They do not perish or harden as rubber hoses do, its more likely they would need replacement due to damage or visual appearance than age.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 09:26 AM   #28
Mega Poster

Well I've bought a master cylinder repair kit (labelled as a Gixxer one, hope it's the right fit!) and your caliper rebuild kit. Failing those two sorting it, I'll be doing a front end swap. All that power and **** brakes is a bad mix.
Old 18-07-14, 10:09 AM   #29
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Well I've bought a master cylinder repair kit (labelled as a Gixxer one, hope it's the right fit!) and your caliper rebuild kit. Failing those two sorting it, I'll be doing a front end swap. All that power and **** brakes is a bad mix.
I had my K3 SV1000 brakes stripped, serviced, new seal set new fluid, new pads, cleaned up the disk and I recon if you wanted anything that stopped the front wheel moving more efficiently than my current front brakes you are looking at a scaffold pole through the spokes.

Nice feel, instant grab and two finger lock-ups if you forget you now have working front brakes. I do have ancient braided hoses and did give the lever and master cylinder area a general de-cruding too.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 11:11 AM   #30
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
I recon if you wanted anything that stopped the front wheel moving more efficiently than my current front brakes you are looking at a scaffold pole through the spokes.
I used to love doing stoppies on the SV.

I had stock calipers but upgraded suspension/tyres/pads/lines and could outbrake many a SS on track and road. As others said, as long as the sliding action is smooth and everything is working they are good... but the Ohlins and track tyres also helped!