SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-05, 11:52 PM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Fitted hamicad on K5 today - Picture

Fitted the hamicad tail tidy onto my K5 today - and it looks good.
Few caveats though, the main one being that due to the tilt of the number plate light it now shows white light to the rear - a definite no no. Before I venture out I'll try and sort some sort of shield out for that, was thinking of using the removed reflector in some manner - any one else had this problem / solution?

Furthermore the instructions work fine until the part which says the `undertray will drop down`... will it f**k, it requires much more dismantling, and battery removeal etc, and even then lots of grunting. Maybe the K5 has undergone some modifications, because that undertray is'nt as in their diagrams. However it can be overcome, and after even more grunting with reassembly, it all snicks into place very nicely.

Anyone comtemplating fitting the Hamicad to the K5 get in touch if you need the benefit of my experience, or any of the copious pictures I took in the process.

I would add that you need a good socket set, full allen key set and a paddock stand, and preferably a clean garage floor - those little black clips are a bugger to find when they come apart. Total time taken was 2.5 hours, but I was not rushing.
You have to remount the fuse box ( I used double sided tape) and lose the clip for the fuel tank stand thing - that can stay at home in the drawer anyway.

When I've sorted the number plate light problem out I'll post some pictures.

PS - The reduction in the rear end has made the can look huge and appear to stick out way back - I'll be ordering a blue flame in a week or two, is this (hopefully) a bit shorter?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 03:08 AM   #2
hall13uk

yes the rearend in question does have a funny tilt angle. i dont have one myself but i helped fit one before to a k4. i really dont think u will gt pulled for having light showing from the rear, i know it is a no no but its not too bad. (at least you have a number plate light) . i have a different setup using a new colour coded undertray which leaves no room for a light. but i will worry about that when my mot is due in 3yrs.
Old 05-06-05, 06:18 AM   #3
creamerybutter

Default Re: Fitted hamicad on K5 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Furthermore the instructions work fine until the part which says the `undertray will drop down`... will it f**k, it requires much more dismantling, and battery removeal etc, and even then lots of grunting. Maybe the K5 has undergone some modifications, because that undertray is'nt as in their diagrams. However it can be overcome, and after even more grunting with reassembly, it all snicks into place very nicely.
Yea thats what I thought, the instructions were a bit vague in places. I don't know if the K3 is different to the K5 but I manages to do it all without removing the battery and fuse box. The instruction said on a naked bike you would need to re-locate the fuse box but I didn't and I have no idea why you would.

Only problem I had was the loss of the hooks that you strap the tool kit to and the clip for the tank thing (I always wondered what that was).
Old 05-06-05, 03:44 PM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

In the best traditions of Blue Peter I bodged the reflector on with a bit of ally and some double sided duck tape, all white light now eliminated.

The number plate was also attached with double sided tape whilst I marked it for drilling - however I could not get it off!
Good stuff duck tape!
Old 05-06-05, 05:32 PM   #5
hall13uk

you are worried about the number plate light when your number plate font is not correct
Old 05-06-05, 05:41 PM   #6
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
you are worried about the number plate light when your number plate font is not correct
I hear what you are saying, but I have never heard of anyone getting a tug for their font, spacing, or even font size to my knowledge. Plenty of motorists take the absolute **** round here, some I just can't read.
Old 05-06-05, 05:43 PM   #7
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
I hear what you are saying, but I have never heard of anyone getting a tug for their font, spacing, or even font size to my knowledge. Plenty of motorists take the absolute p*ss round here, some I just can't read.
fair enough just thought i would point it out fella, its looking nice by the way i like the colour
Old 05-06-05, 06:18 PM   #8
jimmy4237

Just fitted a R&G tail tidy to my K4 1000S. Bit of a bugger to remove the original piece of plastic crap that was factory fitted.

I've no room for a rear reflector!! Willl worry about this little thing come 3 years down the road MOT time...

Will need to fix the wire for the LED no. plate light that comes with the R&G product. The wire is so thin it's not true....
Old 06-06-05, 08:36 PM   #9
hutchy

Awesome mod - I'm impressed, if i didn't need 5 grands worth of stuff already this would be a definite for me, essentials before cosmetic sadly, but love the pic and would like to see more from different angles and during the mod, god I sound like a techy nerd now!