SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-14, 08:21 AM   #1
bobbleheadbarne

Default SV1000 mods - what you got or recommend?

Hello all I might be buying sv1000 what mods have you done or got I hear suspension is poor also brakes thanks all pucs would be a nice touch too please

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 25-05-14, 10:29 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv1000 mods what you got or recomend

Not me, but Skip put a Power commander on his & had it mapped, best thing he said he did.

Suspension isn't that bad, certainly not in budget Sv650 league
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-14, 10:38 AM   #3
Cymraeg_Atodeg

The suspension is alright, but, when I was involved in an incident that lead to my front forks becoming bent I took the opportunity to upgrade to GSXR 750 K6/7 forks and they are better, but, the expense is a bit of a bone of contention if you have good original forks.

I have done quite a few mods to my Thou', not all might be of use to everyone.

She now has a double bubble screen, stubby levers, adjustable clipons, sat nav cradle, Arrow Titanium End cans, Hel brake lines, Hard luggage kit, Tutoro chain oiler, flush front inicators, new LED tail-light (was integrated, but, these are now an MoT failure,) strip rear indicators, racing grips (more comfortable,) custom "repaint", Armstrong wavey discs front and back, radiator cover and some Pilot 2cts

Last edited by Cymraeg_Atodeg; 25-05-14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 25-05-14, 01:18 PM   #4
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Best mods I've done are add PR3s and remove steering damper
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-14, 01:43 PM   #5
bobbleheadbarne

Default Re: SV1000 mods - what you got or recommend?

Remove damper mmmm thought that would be bad mod... deffo wanting good tyres... like rad cover... I want hid lights but I hear horror stories... with regards to suspension is it hard to set it up for weight thanks all plz keep it coming

Old 25-05-14, 03:30 PM   #6
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbleheadbarne View Post
Remove damper mmmm thought that would be bad mod... deffo wanting good tyres... like rad cover... I want hid lights but I hear horror stories... with regards to suspension is it hard to set it up for weight thanks all plz keep it coming

I'd avoid taking the dampener off, gives the bike great stability and I have no issue with her turning in.

Avoid HIDs might be a good idea too, just buy better bulbs.

I had no issue setting up the old or the new suspension, depends how much you weigh, I am 13 stone without leathers
Old 25-05-14, 03:47 PM   #7
Mark_h
Mega Poster

My damper was knackered and after taking it off you get loads more feel. I got a new GSXR one to put on but really don't miss it and really like the extra feel you get without it. Have you ever actually needed a damper in normal riding?

Loads of adjustability on the suspension but suggest you ride it and see what you don't like before you go messing with anything beyond the cosmetics.

Mine's got a few bits and bobs done to it around the exhaust and induction but to be honest I think it just makes it make a better noise and gets through more fuel.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-14, 04:09 PM   #8
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
My damper was knackered and after taking it off you get loads more feel. I got a new GSXR one to put on but really don't miss it and really like the extra feel you get without it. Have you ever actually needed a damper in normal riding?

Loads of adjustability on the suspension but suggest you ride it and see what you don't like before you go messing with anything beyond the cosmetics.

Mine's got a few bits and bobs done to it around the exhaust and induction but to be honest I think it just makes it make a better noise and gets through more fuel.
I think it is more a case of I have no issues with it on, so, wouldn't take it off, but, I have had a few issues when under hard acceleration and the front becomes light which I would give the dampener praise for saving.
Old 25-05-14, 04:23 PM   #9
bobbleheadbarne

Ok leaving damper and settings... I will be getting custom seat cover...need advice in exhaust system prefet twin looks bettet IMO...also power comander but thoughts please all I want to be heard coming by car drivers cheers

Old 25-05-14, 04:55 PM   #10
Cymraeg_Atodeg

I don't have a PC on my Thou' and she has never caused me any issues and gets 150 miles before to low fuel light comes on.

Also, be careful with how loud your bike it, can cause it to fail the MoT too