SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-07-07, 11:34 AM   #1
Tempest

Default Some newbie info

Hi,

I’m new to the forum but not new to biking. I stumbled over your forum while searching for something. Looks like an interesting place. Seems like you have the standard share of resident oracles and knowledge masters. I will enjoy reading their words of wisdom and contributing a few of my own.

So a couple of questions

1, What’s the average biking experience on here? ( I expect that most active users will be new to biking).

2, Are the majority wimps or do they ride all year round?

3, Do you all ride SV’s ( since I don’t) or is more of a general forum?

Still, just a little about me.

I’ve been riding (nearly every day) for 20 years or so. Had two many bikes to remember. Never had them serviced and I do all my tooling myself. Sorry if I offend, but most dealers are just out to take your money and just leave your pride and joy with some YTS yob to wreck.

I’ve ridden in Cities (including 10 years in London), the country (nice fast twisty roads) and in many other countries. I’ve done the wreckless youngster bit and gone mad on race tracks and track days. I’m now in my clam stage. I like the occasional blast and can old my own against many a younger rider, but most of my bike time is spent commuting where speed can truly kill. Still I always enjoy watching the people go nowhere in their cages….

Still enough, I have important work to do. Oh and Hello.

Tempest.
Old 03-07-07, 11:39 AM   #2
Warthog

Default Re: Some newbie info

Hello mate, welcome to the forum! In answer to your questions:

1) Without a poll, its hard to tell, but I'd say there are actually more experienced riders on here than newbies. Probably about 80% experienced bikers?

2) Most people ride all weathers, as demonstrated at the Annual rideout. Obviously also some fair weather riders, and the odd one who cries if his bike gets wet cos it ruins the shine (not mentioning any names )

3) most people here ride sv's, a fair few used to but have moved on but still found the forum good and stick around, and the odd few have one in the garage waiting til they pass their DAS.

HTH
Old 03-07-07, 11:39 AM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Wotcha. My riding experiance on the SV is about 1500 miles, plus another 2000 from my scooter days - im only (just turned) 21. I'm an all weather rider, except when its really bad. Although its mostly SV's on here, loadsa people have other bikes (GSXR's, yamaha's, kawasakis etc etc) so its quite broad. And no-one is really nasty or anything like that - its a welcoming place.

Anyway, welcome to the forum

Matt
Old 03-07-07, 11:42 AM   #4
Tempest

Thanks for the welcome. Now if you could just let me know how the hell I delete one of threads since I seem to have posted it twice!!!!

T
Old 03-07-07, 11:43 AM   #5
Baph

Welcome.

Where do you draw the line between novice & experienced rider? Personally, I consider myself a novice, and as such, try to learn something from every single ride.

I passed my test around a year ago, and ride an SV. In the time I've had my licence, I've done almost 23000 miles. I know some on the forum consider me to be a "fast / experienced rider," but that's not how I look at my riding.

I've ridden in everything from heat so hot that I considered t-shirt antics (didn't do it though), through to heavy hail & fairly deep snow through the tops of Snowdonia. Not fussed at all about the weather, so long as I have my waterproof gear on.

Last edited by Baph; 03-07-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:43 AM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Now if you could just let me know how the hell I delete one of threads since I seem to have posted it twice!!!!

T
Oh, im sure the mods will kindly do that. Dont worry about it

Matt
Old 03-07-07, 11:45 AM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Welcome.

Where do you draw the line between novice & experienced rider? Personally, I consider myself a novice, and as such, try to learn something from every single ride.

I passed my test around a year ago, and ride an SV. In the time I've had my licence, I've done almost 23000 miles. I know some on the forum consider me to be a "fast / experienced rider," but that's not how I look at my riding.

I've ridden in everything from heat so hot that I considered t-shirt antics (didn't do it though), through to heavy hale & fairly deep snow through the tops of Snowdonia. Not fussed at all about the weather, so long as I have my waterproof gear on.
He's had his license about the same amount of time as I have

Matt
Old 03-07-07, 12:00 PM   #8
Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Welcome.

I've ridden in everything from heat so hot that I considered t-shirt antics (didn't do it though), through to heavy hale & fairly deep snow through the tops of Snowdonia. Not fussed at all about the weather, so long as I have my waterproof gear on.
Seems like a pretty good year you have had. I’ve ridden through death valley. Was so hot that I opened my jacket and got a blast of hot air that just made it even hotter. Not nice but it’s one of those life experiences that you can quote on forums and down the pub. I assume this is safe group and always advocates wearing the proper protective gear…….I thought so but I must say that the once ( and of course it was only the once) I rode in the states with no crash helmet and only jeans and T Shirt. It was truly amazing and really magnified the biking experience. I would hate to think of the mess if I’d come off but hey I’ve done it so now it’s full body armour all the time.
Old 03-07-07, 12:03 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I assume this is safe group and always advocates wearing the proper protective gear…….
There's a sticky thread at the top of the Photo's section I believe, entitled something along the lines of "Always wear your gear!"

The only thing I'll say to that is that I know I couldn't ride anywhere without a helmet and gloves at a bare minimum. Armoured textiles have been worn everywhere I've been so far.

The few times I don't have my gear on, I'm sat on the bike turning it around to put it in the front garden!
Old 03-07-07, 12:09 PM   #10
Tempest

Don’t get me wrong, I totally support the wearing of the correct gear. It’s just that it truly adds something to the whole experience when you don’t and after all it’s a personal choice thing. I’m not about to preach either way. We are all grown ups (well most of us) and we can each decide what level of protection is suitable.

It’s one of those subjects and can create mega threads on forums.