SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 03-03-09, 11:15 AM   #1
arcdef

Default Sunday 15th March - Ride??

Pretty much as per title really, it will be my 20th on the 15th and i want to go out for a decent ride, preferably not on my own!

Any takers??

Ash.
Old 03-03-09, 01:01 PM   #2
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sunday 15th March - Ride??

You could always pop along to IAM in Wokingham like you've been threatening to do for the last several months assuming you now have working brakes, chain, suspension, warp drive etc.

I will be cheering my wife round the Fleet half marathon but may be free later in the afternoon after about twoish.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:04 PM   #3
arcdef

It is tempting and is on the list if i cant get anything else organised, just not sure if i actually want/can to sign up just yet. What happens on the day, i know id go out for an observed ride but how does it work and how long etc, what else would happen?

Cheers
Old 03-03-09, 01:04 PM   #4
arcdef

Sorry - double post.

Last edited by arcdef; 03-03-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 02:08 PM   #5
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Turn up at 9:00. Have a welcome chat with the welcome desk. Then through to the hall with all other new starters on the day (typically 10-20). You'll all be talked through the process together for 30 mins or so, then allocations start. Will be a right mix of newbies. Last time I had one who'd passed his test 10 days before and had already dropped his brand new bike twice and another who had 30+ years of riding experience and was in the process of becoming a track trainer.

The 300 or so people who will have turned up get allocated to observers (trainers) typically an observer will take out 2 associates (trainees). As part of the allocations, the newcomers also get allocated.

You and probably one other newbie will be paired up with an observer. He/She will chat about your riding history, what you are good at, what you feel you have issues with and what you want to get out of it.

You then go out for a ride for a couple of hours. During that ride, you may pull over and have a chat about something, the observer may demonstrate something but basically you ride for best part of two hours on a mixture of roads.

You come back to the school, the two trainees argue over who is going to buy the observer a coffee then he/she goes through a run report form with you looking at various aspects of your riding.

None of the above costs you anything apart from time and fuel.

You then either say
1. "hey, this is great" and go sign up for the full course (about £100 incl test fees- makes a great birthday present!)
2. "This is great but I have no money" then you promise to come back and join but probably never will.
3. "This is rubbish, I'm never coming here again.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 02:22 PM   #6
arcdef

It does indeed sound good, im guessing you have some kind of intercom system to be told where to go etc? So you pay the £100 or so and nothing else until you pass your test (obviously the additional annual membership)?
Old 03-03-09, 03:30 PM   #7
st220_mike

I'd be up for going out for a ride mate. Where abouts are you? I'm just over in Dorking.

Also, re the IAM, is the Wokingham one the same as Wey Valley in Ripley? I went along for the first time sunday just gone. I've only been riding road bikes about 4 weeks, picked up some really good tips already it's well worth going along. Pretty much as Mark_h describes really. And good fun!
Old 04-03-09, 08:08 AM   #8
TazDaz

i am around that weekend so let me know if anything is definitely happening. you still up for something this friday if it stays dry?
Old 04-03-09, 09:11 AM   #9
arcdef

should be yeah, i found a couple of nice roads the other day, although i couldn't enjoy as i was stuck behind endless cars/lorries but hopefully it will be different when we go out.
Old 04-03-09, 07:49 PM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by st220_mike View Post

Also, re the IAM, is the Wokingham one the same as Wey Valley in Ripley? I went along for the first time sunday just gone. I've only been riding road bikes about 4 weeks, picked up some really good tips already it's well worth going along. Pretty much as Mark_h describes really. And good fun!
No it's not nearly as good off course

Yellow Curvy?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote