SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-06-10, 10:45 PM   #1
svrich

Default Lining a chimney

Anyone done it before?
We had a guy come over today and quote £1500 to line the chimney and secure it top and bottom, and attach it to the stove. I think that is pretty steep and have checked out the parts prices on line and they are quite a bit cheaper that the ones he listed. I know that quality comes at a price but I'm thinking that via a bit of searching and calling round I could do the job for half the price. Am I being stupid taking this on or is it doable?
Cheers,
Richard
P.S. I have renovated the entire house, rebuilt my landrover, and do 90% of the work on my bike so I feel happy wielding a toolkit
Old 29-06-10, 10:57 PM   #2
skeetly

Default Re: Lining a chimney

Whats the stove burning?
What kind of liner was quoted for?
How high is the chimney?
How hard is it to get to the chimney?

These things normally need a certificate to make them legal...
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-10, 11:06 PM   #3
Electro

Is this for a gas or wood burner? Speak to a company I use called flue stox in Salford, Manchester for prices on parts required. 0161 848 8987
Old 29-06-10, 11:25 PM   #4
Bluefish

for a stainless steel liner that seems a bit steep, unless scafolding is involved or the chimney is mega high. get another quote.
Old 30-06-10, 11:58 AM   #5
blue curvy jester

use a small child to do the job he will be a lot cheaper
Old 30-06-10, 12:30 PM   #6
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Does that include the liner?

Ours was 916 ss so we could do multifuel and was about £35/meter. Depends a lot on how much you need. When I was getting quotes, it was about a grand to sweep and install it. (std terrace, no scaff req'd)

It's one of those jobs that is straight forward, but you're buggered if you do it wrong. Although I think you are actually allowed to do it yourself. It's like you can do stuff to your plumbing/gas yourself but need to be registered to charge. Got our local builder/gas safe chappie to do it for £100 after I'd bought all the bits.

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-10, 08:52 PM   #7
svrich

We are in an end terrace. He quoted for 8/9 metres of the higher grade ss and all the fittings, no scaffolding required. We will be burning mainly wood but may well use a bit of coal too. The plan is to try and use less oil for the central heating.
And I have a small boy to send up (Toby, 3 in October) and I'm sure he'd love to do it too
Old 30-06-10, 09:03 PM   #8
skeetly

Seems a bit steep then, are you sure you dont need a scaffold?
It usually gets fed in from the top and, speaking for myself; I've long since given up risking life and limb to earn a few quid risking life and limb hanging off chimneys.
I can do that for fun on me bike......
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-10, 09:29 PM   #9
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetly View Post
Seems a bit steep then, are you sure you dont need a scaffold?
It usually gets fed in from the top and, speaking for myself; I've long since given up risking life and limb to earn a few quid risking life and limb hanging off chimneys.
I can do that for fun on me bike......
Me too, i just sub jobs out like that now, i dont mind single storey roofs but higher than that, not keen.
Old 01-07-10, 07:10 AM   #10

I did mine last year which was 7m's tall..

I used £500 of s/s bits (higher grade so I can slumber the stove) actually i think that included the micfill at £12 a bag which I need 8 off...

However its a fookin bitch of a job, lugging bags of mica fill in the air....

look into twin wall flue.. this maybe a fair bit more expensive on materials however its cleaner, quicker and more efficient.e/o for me was £200 but i didnt have the £200 at the time..

It took 3 of us a full 8 hours to fit ... so whilst 1500 is expensive, I wouldn't imagine it would be much less than £1000 or £1200