SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-13, 09:30 AM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Anyone ever done the First Bike on Scene training course?

Read about these in bike magazine years ago, and have known about them ever since - it's only since a situation developed at work a few weeks ago where first aid had to be administered and there was much of it which (to me atleast) seemed common sense, but then there were little nuggets of info which aren't that obvious..

Also with riding bikes so much (and since coming off at the doncaster motocross day) I've realised just how easy it is to end up in a situation which wasn't even on the cards 30 seconds ago, hence a first bike on scene course seems a sound choice.

Anyone done one? What was your impression of the day? How did it compare to standard first aid training? All advice and info appreciated as usual

P

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-13, 09:39 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone ever done the First Bike on Scene training course?

Any first aid training is going to be worth it, and if its a bit more bike focused then all the better.

As some who has had loads of training to First Responder level, I know that the first few minutes are the most critical, so if you can intervene and stop any casualty deteriorating then the long term recovery is always better.

The only thing that needs to be done after doing this type of course is to make sure you get refresher training once a year maybe, otherwise you loose your skills and knowledge, plus things change.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-13, 09:46 AM   #3
Mark_h
Mega Poster

I did one years ago through the IAM. Was just a couple of hours but gave some reasonable tips. Mostly about making sure you get the area safe before you do anything. Last thing you want is you getting run over while you are trying to fix someone else.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-13, 09:47 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I did it two or three years ago with N. Wales Bikesafe. It was one day first aid and one day Bikesafe riding assessment over the weekend, free here so bloody good value in my opinion.

The First-Aid day covered basic life support, dealing with injuries, scene management and most important for me - when to remove a helmet and how to do it safely without causing further injury. The day was intense with a lot to take in, especially if you have had no previous First-aid training and there was an assessment at the end. If you didn't make the grade then there was the opportunity for further training the next day instead of the ride training. The training is geared up towards the types of injury you may see after a crash, life support and dealing with possible illnesses that caused the crash - so there is more emphasis on trauma than a general first-aid course. The helmet knowledge is very useful, previously I would never have dreamed of removing a helmet but these days I would quite happily do it if necessary. (which reminds me - I haven't practised the technique this year and really should!)

After passing we were all given a brand new first aid kit with all the bits we had been trained to use and a high-vis vest to help keep you safe at the roadside when dealing with casualties. The kit fits nicely in my bumbag so I always have it when riding.

Highly recommended.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-13, 09:49 AM   #5
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

cheers guys, especially LP, exactly what I was after

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-13, 10:31 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

taught the course for a couple of years after 12 years frontline service, I'd say the main advantage is the mental ability to priorities in what is basically a "panic" situation, one of the few selfless skills, well worth doing.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-13, 10:52 AM   #7
PyroUK
Mega Poster

These sound great but can't seem to find anything near to me.

Who arranges these events? Ambo/fire/police service? Might see if I can arrange something a bit closer to home!
Old 21-06-13, 11:03 AM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Search for Bikesafe, they run the courses UK wide. Bikesafe is an accident reduction initiative supported by most Fire/Ambulance/Police services. http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-13, 11:23 AM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
These sound great but can't seem to find anything near to me.

Who arranges these events? Ambo/fire/police service? Might see if I can arrange something a bit closer to home!
We Had two StJohns instructors give demos and a go on the resus dummies last night.
The thing they said is if you can put somone in the recovery position allot more people would have a better chance.
Thats not that hard to do.
the cpr bit is availble as a smartphone app
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/support-us...phone-app.aspx

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.sc.sja&hl=en

So get a group of bike mates together and organise a night.
Old 21-06-13, 12:35 PM   #10
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Cheers guys, had a look at the bikesafe stuff for my area and its just the ride along type thing they do.

Might try and get in touch with the local force and see if they can arrange something along the first aid side.