SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-08-15, 09:47 PM   #271
Redmist

Default Re: Trackday project K3

Thanks Roddy and all you guys for the congratulations. Means a lot!

So good news is that I made it onto the entry list for the Harewood House hillclimb. Its a cracking course and should be some top competition there too!

Bring it on.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-15, 10:11 PM   #272
matty0

Loving the build thread! Very interesting

I've recently bought myself an SV for the track (rode one for 2 years on the road and couldn't stay away )

A quick question for you if you don't mind, I've bought some 749/999 fairings for the bike and was wondering what you had to do to get them to fit Andy's bike?? (I've also got a gen 1)

Was it just a new front subframe and then custom mounting brackets to fit the orignals or did you have to modify the fairings in any way

Thanks
Old 31-08-15, 01:52 PM   #273
Redmist

Yesterday was Harewood hillclimb day!

And what a track it is, I watched a few youtube clips before going and first thing I noticed was "It doesn't look this hilly in the videos!"
There are blind crests, downhill braking zones and the last corner is an epic mix of carrying speed as far as possible before diving for the tight apex.

Being my first ever visit I had no expectations of times or my finish for the day, I just wanted to reclaim some Auto66 championship points whilst many of my competitors had not been able to get an entry due to the popularity of the event. (This event is a National one, Auto66 use it as a round of their championship but that does not necessarily mean you will get an entry)

The first two runs were just practices so the times don't count. I started with a 77 second run and then brought that down to 71.3 seconds with the second.

The class I was in contained two of the top riders in the National championship on bespoke hillclimb machinery, so I was a good 3-4 seconds away from them and I knew a class win for the National round was not on the cards.

Anyway the first timed run was slower at 73 seconds, I had to wait for ages whilst we had a few bikes crashing after lunch, so that played on my mind and I couldn't ride as hard.

So again I had to stew in my thoughts whilst waiting for the next run, I would only get in one more run before only the top ten riders would continue into the "Shootout".
I decided to throw myself at it!

The second timed run was better, braking very late for corners with the back wheel trying to overtake me and even slammed my knee into the tarmac on the quickest corner. But I'd pulled it off, a time of 70.4 seconds and after initially not thinking I'd made it into the shootout, I had actually just done the 8th quickest time of the day.

At this point I was extremely happy with the day, and actually went into the shootout without any thoughts of going faster, just happy with the result already. But thoughts changed on the start line and I had to go for it!!

I've never ridden so hard!

The start was a little slow and first corner wide, but I drove hard for the next section, a downhill braking zone into a tight chicane and U turn. The back wheel was bouncing hard on the brakes, somehow I got it back inline to throw the bike into the corner, again a little offline thru this section and went too wide on the exit trying to grab the next gear.

Upto the blind crest just before a 90 degree left, again the back wheel off the deck braking over the crest. Made it thru and into the fast right hander.
Carried decent speed thru here but the next corner is really tight and had to wait ages to pull myself out of it.

Now hard through the farmhouses, not far from the solid stone walls, and again, really late braking into the left hander, knee on the deck trying to get back on the power for the uphill stretch. I carried as much speed as I dared into the last corner staying really wide, didn't even have chance to drop a gear so was in fourth over the last corner and finish line.

I'd dipped under the 70 second mark, pulling a 68.99 second run out of the hat. I'm sure it could've been better if I'd tried to be smoother but never mind!

That time put me 6th overall for the day, really not bad for a SV650 against some proper trick machines including supermotos, a supercharged TL1000 and other bespoke machinery.

No trophies for me but I do believe that my run gives me a class win for the Auto66 championship so that's the main thing.

The last round is in October, back at Oliver's mount.

Here's a video of the shootout run:

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

And a nice photo from the day:

Old 31-08-15, 02:02 PM   #274
JulesW

Great result, well in Mr Redmist!
Old 01-09-15, 08:18 PM   #275
nutzboutbikes

Good work, really enjoyed the onboard footage.
Old 02-09-15, 10:00 AM   #276
Redmist

Thanks chaps, hope to have some new footage from Cadwell yesterday coming your way soon!

Old 02-09-15, 03:18 PM   #277
Redmist

Yesterday both Andy and myself visited Cadwell park with No Limits for a trackday, and despite the forecast we had mostly dry track all day with plenty of sunshine.

Andy is really progressing, making big strides forward in pace and enjoying the riding a lot!

I'm sure I improved my lap times too, but have no recorded evidence to prove it, but maybe, just maybe getting close to the 1m50s mark. When I did have a camera running I was doing my PB times of 1m54s whilst the hall bends and barn corner were still wet.

Anyway here's a couple of videos:

Andy's fastest lap of the day:

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Me using the Gyrocam:

YouTube Video

Old 02-09-15, 05:27 PM   #278
JulesW

Great footage, many thanks for posting.
Old 02-09-15, 10:20 PM   #279
nutzboutbikes

Both riding well, your really smooth.
What gearing are you running? the bike sounds like its pulling well!.
Old 17-09-15, 08:01 PM   #280
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzboutbikes View Post
Both riding well, your really smooth.
What gearing are you running? the bike sounds like its pulling well!.
I run low gearing for the hill climbs, 14t front and 45t rear.

Andy runs standard gearing for a carby, seems to run very well.

Seems like his bike has lower rolling resistance than mine, need to investigate that!