SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-11-08, 02:13 AM   #1
BanannaMan

Default Scottoiler pros & cons

I've been thinking about fixxing a Scottoiler to the SV.

While I usually ride 200 to 300 miles each ride and clean and lube the chain prior....
It would be nice on a weekend trip, not lubing the chain nightly in the Hotel car park, and great for rainy weather as well.

My question is....

What do you like about the Scottoiler ????
OR
What do you NOT like about the Scottoiler????

Also...
Anyone tried any of the other (electric) chain oiler's such as Pro-oiler, Loobman, or the Cameleon ????

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-08, 07:14 AM   #2
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Re: Scottoiler pros & cons

I've had scottoilers on both my bikes. Once set up they do the job of keeping tha chail lubed and they seem to last for ever.

HOWEVER.

A scott-oiler only lubes your chain (OK and cleans it a bit) but is NOT a substitute for chain maintenance.

When you're on your knees cleaning and lubing your chain you'll also notice any stiff links, condition of rear sprocket, general adjustment, that massive crack in the swing-arm, funny bulge in the sidewall of the tyre etc etc. Problem with a scott-oiler is that because you don't have to get down there with the lube (Calm down) it is too easy to forget about it. You then get something break and end up with your well lubed chain wrapped around the stump where your left fool used to live.

Would I fit another one YES.
Would I recommend one YES.
Would I suggest a manual clean-up and even lube once in a while YES.
But most importantly just because you have a scott-oiler don't forget to look after your chain.

Oh and having had both I would go for the single injector option over the dual injector option as suprisingly I got far better results with the single than I do with the dual.

I'm sure someone with a more respected opinion will be along shortly.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-08, 07:27 AM   #3
Stig

Pretty much what Mark has said.

But I always check the running gear anyway. Some may not.

Scott oiler all the way for me.
Old 29-11-08, 09:19 AM   #4
Lozzo

I'll back up what Mark says as well.

I'm not a big fan of other brands of automatic oilers - none of them seem to do the job as well as a Scottoiler, some are more complex and require wiring in to the electrics, some require you to squeeze a bottle every 50 miles or so. The Scottoiler is cheap, easy to fit, extremely effective and reliable. Like Mark says, you still need to check the chain and surrounding area now and then - I do this when I'm cleaning what little fling the Scottoiler leaves on the rear wheel
Old 29-11-08, 09:36 AM   #5
ethariel

I'm a lazy git, fill up scottoiler, ave a quick glance each day when i get into work, if its wet then there is still oil in the tube, if not then its time to fill it up. 20k and chain only ever adjusted twice (and both times were during a service).
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-08, 10:23 AM   #6
Dicky Ticker

I agree with what has been stated wholeheartedly. Finding the right flow setting is very important as I have seen some bikes with the rear rims completely covered in crap from the oiler,so if it is going on the rim surely a percentage is also going on the tyre.
Me,I prefer the old Wurth chain lube but as my bike has a centre stand the lubing presents no problem where as if I only had a side stand I think it would be a definite yes for fitting an oiler
Old 29-11-08, 10:38 AM   #7
pencil shavings

mine makes alot of mess and I cant seem to get it at the right flow rate, even on the lowest setting.
Old 29-11-08, 11:50 AM   #8
Dangerous Dave

+ 1 for Mark's comments too.

Many people fit a Scottoiler and expect it to do all the work, it doesn't.
Old 29-11-08, 12:11 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Fantastic bit of kit, I want to fit one on Liz's Duke but its a PIA to do it on the 749. On long rideouts or biking trips its invaluable. No messing about with chain lube.

But like the others have said in theres no substitute for regular chain cleaning / maintenance. It's definately not a case of fit and forget.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-08, 01:43 PM   #10
ridelikeaturtle

+1 what Mark_h posted. The Scottoiler works really well and it's operation is simple.

I've also used a Motrax Lubetronic and found it equally good. It costs the same as a Scottoiler.

* In fact, the mounting of the Lubetronic wasn't as fiddly as the Scottoiler - the oil drops directly down onto the chain just in front of the rear sprocket, there's no injector riding on the rear sprocket.
* The Lubetronic reservoir required less frequent filling, possibly because of the tubing being of a smaller diameter, which maybe is possible because its an electronic pump and not a vacuum-operated pump, it has more pressure so can use a smaller tube (?)
* The Lubetronic has a remote refill tube, so you can mount the pump/reservoir within the rear fairing and the fill tube only needs to be exposed to where you can get it.
* Being electric it does add one more thing to the charging system. Wiring in a relay-controlled distribution block accommodates this and makes installation easier, but again it's not as easy as the Scottoiler.
* The Lubetronic has a digital controller for the flow rate, making the adjustment just slightly easier than the Scottoiler.

Whatever you go for, it's worth it if you ride more than just the occasional weekend blast.