SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-03-08, 06:38 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default What plastic are the plastic bits made out of?

Strange question, but a quick google suggests I do not know enough to even start to filter the several thousand options presented.

I want to make up a bit of an infill panel to waterproof the undertray area as I'm fed up with the under seat storage space filling up with water. Don't want to go and spend a fortune on a full undertray or make anything that looks a right mess, but thought I could make up a simple infill panel to plug the gaps then neatly mastic seal it to other bits to waterproof the whole area.

Problem
What sort of plastic do I need?

Not wanting to get into fancy fibreglass and ideally want to avoid getting into metals, so thought I'd be better off getting a small sheet of what ever the original underside is made of so it'll fix well, look similar and weather similarly. It's the same stuff that makes up the tool carrier, all the underseat plastics, all the hidden bits of cars, credit cards and pretty much everything else in life these days but what is it?

I'm guessing PVC of some sort but need to get some idea of what I'm asking before before I go around asking for it.

Oh and if anyone is near Fleet with about an A4 sized bit of the afore mentioned stuff knocking about, can I have it

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-08, 07:30 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: What plastic are the plastic bits made out of?

on the back of the sv panels it tells u what type of abs plastic the panel is (its a code) when plastic welding panels its best to use an old piece of sv fairing with the same code number so it bonds well, see if u can find this code number and google that.
Old 23-03-08, 09:09 PM   #3
K

Either than or make everything out of the same stuff they use to make dolls heads...

... then you'll be indestructable. After all, only them and the black box seem to survive the worst airplane crashes in aviation history. *

* Well, according to the movies anyway.
Old 24-03-08, 08:32 PM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

I think there is gold used somewhere in the the formula.

Well how else can you get 4 tupperware boxes for < ?5, yet a front fairing costs > ?200 ?????

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote