SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-02-13, 10:30 AM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Ford Focus - Advice

I know there are a few knowledgeable car types on here too so looking for some advice.

Looking to spend about £4k on a ford Focus. Mostly for local runs but the occasional longer (200-300 mile) run. Are the modern 1.4's up for this or do we need to look at 1.6?

For big journeys we have a 520d so this really is going to be local with the odd longer one when I've commandeered the Beemer.

Any particular model/dates to be looking for/avoiding when quality improves or drops?

Any common faults?

Problem is if you dig into the Focus forums it's all "my mod is better than your mod" rather than useful info.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 10:34 AM   #2
metalmonkey

Default Re: Ford Focus - Advice

I have 1.6 estate which is more than enough, it struggles when fully loaded though but still shifts enough!

I wouldn't bother with the 1.4, when I was looking around for a car it came up that the 1.4 was a gutless. Besides I don't there is much difference in fuel useage. The only thing I'd add is that mine is an 04, so I'm not sure what the newer engines are like. Though I do know that a ford glaxy desil does about 125mph
Old 08-02-13, 10:47 AM   #3
ant-g

I drive my dads 5 dr 1.6 Focus every now and again and really enjoy driving it. He's only had it a month or so and it was under £3k. It's a 54 plate, immaculate with good mileage.

A 1.4 would seem underpowered; however that is only an assumption based on driving the 1.6.
Old 08-02-13, 10:51 AM   #4
Spank86

Petrol or diesel 1.4?

Oddly the best 1.4 I ever drove was an old Renault 5, not because it had more power but because it had no weight, focuses are quite heavy, a 1.4 fiesta would probably pull better.
Old 08-02-13, 10:58 AM   #5
ant-g

On the topic of 1.4 diesels...

I passed my driving test in a 1.4 Fiesta diesel; although it is a really nice car to drive there is no power whatsoever, you really have to put your foot quite far down in order to get anywhere. However if the car is mainly used for local runs it would be perfectly adequate.
Old 08-02-13, 11:50 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Any common faults?
They eat suspension bushes. I take ours to the Ford Dealer round the corner because its convenient and every time its MOT'd it needs one bush or another replacing in the suspension and some of them the bush is a one piece assembly so it can involve replacing the suspension arm which can work out expensive.

Personally I think its to big a car for a 1.4 Petrol. Liz's friend had a 1.6 Petrol and she said the engine was underpowered for the car particularly on long journeys.

If you can get the Zetec or above, as it'll come with a heated screen, which is one of the best features the car has IMHO.

IIRC Ford dont put the 1.4 Diesel into the Focus.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 12:02 PM   #7
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
They eat suspension bushes
+1

both the main suspension bushes and on the drop links to the anti-roll bar
Old 08-02-13, 01:37 PM   #8
Tomor
Mega Poster

If you want to take mine for a spin, you are more than welcome.
Old 08-02-13, 01:41 PM   #9

we have a 55 plate 2.0 GHIA AUTO and its very nice, very loaded, and not underpowered but does drink a bit and cost a bit in tax.

But the 2.0 petrol was 2k cheaper than the equivalent diesel and it worked out cheaper for us to have the petrol.

Dont rule out the astra either, we have both and now both seem to prefer the astra....

(I have come from driving a 318d so do know a nice car when I drive one)
Old 08-02-13, 01:46 PM   #10
markc123

The 1.4 focus is a horrific device. Slowest modern car i have ever driven. Also tend to be peasant spec or below.

That said, the one i have been subjected to has been reliable and comfortable, just a pity it has half an engine!