SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-05-05, 06:16 AM   #21
khskenny

Yeah, the SV comes out of the whole HARD. I just launch at around 5k and feather the clutch a bit while I get as much weight forward as possible. It feels like the front wheel is hovering about 1" above the ground when I ot my 1.8 60fts.

It's tough for the inline guys (especially 600s) to get off the line. They have to rev to 10k or something nuts and feather the clutch like crazy.
Old 05-05-05, 07:26 AM   #22
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_T
Can't the Inlines' launch a bit harder/faster since they are less likely to wheelie off the line?
They don't have the torque low down like the SV does and therefore getting off the line fast isn't easy as they're likely to use too much power and either spin the rear or wheelie badly.

Old 05-05-05, 07:31 AM   #23
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
snowmachine
They drag snowmachines
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 09:31 AM   #24
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Quote:
snowmachine
They drag snowmachines
Wadya expect? It is Alaska after all.
Old 05-05-05, 09:41 AM   #25
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by khskenny
Last bike was a Busa. Looked to have an extended swingarm, crazy sprockets, lowered, nitrous, etc. etc. I just thought it was cool so I included it in the video. Almost all the bikes there were Busas running 9s. Sick.
Yep, £3000 buys you a turbo for a 'busa (ha ha just typo'd that as 'bus', but spotted it in time) that takes it to 250bhp and makes it capable of sub 9 second drag speeds

Good vid and thanks for the 'real world' results.
Old 05-05-05, 10:43 AM   #26
Bikerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
is it best to pull away with the front wheel slightly off the tarmac - to reduce drag and keep it there for the whole strip ?

my friends are into their cars, one has a VW beetle running low 15's (ive got a video somewhere if anyone wants a copy) , one has a mini turbo running 16's

i wouldnt mind a go myself tho.
u wana email me those vidoes mate? my mates running a mini with the rally 1.4 lump and a bettle. snowsportsarelife@talk21.com

cheers mate
Old 05-05-05, 12:56 PM   #27
curium

Quote:
Originally Posted by philc2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
my friends are into their cars, one has a VW beetle running low 15's (ive got a video somewhere if anyone wants a copy) , one has a mini turbo running 16's
This is what I really like about bikes - even a modestly slow bike can wipe the floor with a car in a straight line You'd have to stick some serious horse power in a car to keep up with a bike.

I once heard that a goldwing could out accelerate a 911 - would love to see that....
I had a bit of bother trying to overtake a merc on the a25 the other sunday

I think it may have been a CLK but i'm not sure as the spec badge had been removed.

Basically I tried to overtake him from behind but he saw me coming and he floored it. I got alongside him doing about 90 but the rate I was closing was so slow that it wasn't safe to overtake and I had to back off.

Bit embarrassing really. Highlights the fact the the 650 can run aout of puff at higher speeds.

I wonder how the SV1000 would of faired in the the same position.
Old 05-05-05, 01:32 PM   #28
JakeRS

the words 'kick' and '****' come to mind
Old 05-05-05, 01:45 PM   #29
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by curium
I had a bit of bother trying to overtake a merc on the a25 the other sunday

I think it may have been a CLK but i'm not sure as the spec badge had been removed.

Basically I tried to overtake him from behind but he saw me coming and he floored it. I got alongside him doing about 90 but the rate I was closing was so slow that it wasn't safe to overtake and I had to back off.

Bit embarrassing really. Highlights the fact the the 650 can run aout of puff at higher speeds.

I wonder how the SV1000 would of faired in the the same position.
I have owned a couple of fast cars in the past and over 90-100mph the SV would get dusted.... up to there tho, different matter!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 02:41 PM   #30
jonboy

Yes from a standing start you can blow away virtually any car with an SV, the problem arises once you reach about 90 and it runs out of serious puff. And yes the SV1000 would be the antidote to this.