SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-05-08, 12:59 PM   #1
LindaS

Default Luggage related question

Hi
During my holiday I will be using soft panniers on my SV. There is no problem in fitting them but I would like to put something between the panniers and the bike seat/seat panels. I don't want to get any scratches on my nearly new bike.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Linda
Old 09-05-08, 01:07 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Luggage related question

WonderWeb, about £8 from bike shops. It is a rubbery mesh that fits on the bike, can be cut to shape and stops luggage sliding about. There is something similar from Woolworths for £2 apparently but I have never been able to find it.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 01:25 PM   #3
Mark_h
Mega Poster

The stuff sold to stop rugs creeping on wooden floors is the same stuff and about 20p per square mile rather than £8 per sqaure foot for the stuff that comes in a bag with a picture of a motorbike on it.

Ikea will sell you more than you can comfortably carry for about a tenner.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 02:48 PM   #4
amnesia

I used gaffa tape to start with until I got hold of some rubber matting that Oxford make.

Gaffa tape is still useful to stop bungee cords rubbing though.

...just don't leave it on for ages, its a pig to clean off the glue...
Old 09-05-08, 04:24 PM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
I used gaffa tape to start with until I got hold of some rubber matting that Oxford make.

Gaffa tape is still useful to stop bungee cords rubbing though.

...just don't leave it on for ages, its a pig to clean off the glue...

+1
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 04:52 PM   #6
mbuk

Not sure what anyone else thinks about it, but I use luggage 2 or three times a week and have clear sticky back plastic (ala Blue Peter) over the rear seat panels to protect them from rubbing and scratching.

I tried the matting (available from Wilkinsons Stores too) but still thought there was a real potential for rubbing (good short term fix if your only using luggage occasionally though)

Mike

Last edited by mbuk; 09-05-08 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 05:56 PM   #7
wow

I practised with my webbing stuff under the fabric paniers (and Linda it's easy to get the middle strap under the pillion seat) but as I'm still coming to terms with my first plastic bike I actually wondered if the plastic needs protecting. Does it really scratch I was thinking? Can't quite work out how high or low the panniers should be. I've got a ring with nothing attached to it to the front of the bike (probably removed the thing that was on it) and that is going to scratch (if plastic scratches) and the webbing stuff won't reach that far. Well this only makes sense if you practise. I have oxford sports panniers.
Old 09-05-08, 06:05 PM   #8
Tim in Belgium

I used duct tape, with webbing over the top. If using duck tap stick it to your jeans first before applying, it takes some of the stick off and makes them easier to remove later (the strips of tape, not your jeans ).

I've still managed to scratch my back panels with bungees, but a small price to pay for great adventures.