SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 19-01-09, 01:00 AM   #11
fat_brstd

Default Re: IAM Advanced riding this weekend 18th Jan

go along if your in any doubt about it. Its friendly and nice. I decident i didnt want to carry on as it wasnt for me but one of the guys i work with absolutely loves it. To each there own. You can do worse things with your weekend

just noticed this is a day late, oh well. Always next month.
Old 19-01-09, 03:03 AM   #12
tonyk
Mega Poster

so............
who went ?
was it any good ?
and the survey said ....
or
please do tell..

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 09:26 AM   #13
arcdef

Didn't go this time as had no brakes was gutted aswell the weather couldn't have been any better!!!

So yeah who went and was it any good??
Old 19-01-09, 09:47 AM   #14
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
I accept it's not for everyone and I'll not go on about it, but several people were interested last year so thought that as the weather has warmed up a bit I'd mention it.

This Sunday is the third Sunday of the month so the TVAM IAM club is open for anyone to turn up and see if they like it for free. You'll need to be at St.Crispins school, Wokingham at 09:00 Sunday with a tank full of fuel and a spare morning.

Particularly useless website with partially useful map can be found here. www.tvam.org

Pipe, slippers and lardy old touring bike will be allocated on arrival.

Drop me a PM if you want more details.

Cheers,
Mark
Quick question, if you're a member of the IAM is that it, full stop? Or do you have to be a member of the car IAM and a member of the motorcycle IAM to get your respective insurance discount and recognition of being an old man on each.
Sheffield IAM car group is one of the top performing in the UK
Old 19-01-09, 10:16 AM   #15
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Quick question, if you're a member of the IAM is that it, full stop? Or do you have to be a member of the car IAM and a member of the motorcycle IAM to get your respective insurance discount and recognition of being an old man on each.
Sheffield IAM car group is one of the top performing in the UK

Depends on the insurer. Some take the fact that you have any IAM membership at all as indication that you are more likely to be a lower risk. Others will need the specific class (car, bike, HGV) before they apply discounts.

If you pass and become a member of IAM you have access to insurance products that are not necessarily available to non-members but I've not yet tried to get car discount leveraging my bike membership.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 05:35 PM   #16
matt_rehm_hext

Hi everyone.

A friend of mine I know through scouting who is a member and has been riding bikes for years asked me if I'd like to come along to yesterday's meet, with the view to seeing how it is and then pass my advanced test. I went along as my riding(on my SV, compared to my CG125) is crap.

My observer was Mark h (starter of this thread) and we went out with another person. Before I went to TVAM I had no real confidence in how to take corners properly, and wasn't very good at sitting on the bike in the proper position.

During the ride, after discussing what I was doing wrong and trying the things Mark suggested, I found I was cornering at 50+mph (a bit throttle happy sometimes) with confidence and being in total control, where as before I would have been ****ting myself and braking hard in anticipation of (what would be for me) difficult corners.

So my opinion on TVAM is that it's a very good thing, the fact that the observers do what they do free of charge and the detailed analysis of your riding that you get afterwards is great. Can't believe how much I improved in just one morning.

Anyone that is unsure about going, don't worry, it's a good club and everyone's friendly. As for people branding it with things like "full of old men, people on tourer's" or anything like that, well it's not really like that.

Ok, so from what I saw, most of the people there are older than me, but I'm 21 so that would seem the case from my point of view, but thats not neccessarily a bad thing, the help you get from people who are experienced riders, for the small yearly fee is excellent.

Mark-Thanks for the help.

Matt
Old 19-01-09, 06:37 PM   #17
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcdef View Post
Didn't go ?
Wey Hey - means I get to poach you for the Wey Valley IAM at Ripley - 1st Sunday of the month with an open evening classroom session beforehand on the last Tuesday of the month
http://www.wvam.org.uk/index.php?page=/index
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 06:59 PM   #18
arcdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Wey Hey - means I get to poach you for the Wey Valley IAM at Ripley - 1st Sunday of the month with an open evening classroom session beforehand on the last Tuesday of the month
http://www.wvam.org.uk/index.php?page=/index
lol or not as i have the advantage of being able to ride to the place with Mark_h as he lives in same town as me seeing as my scene of direction isnt the best think this may win it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_rehm_hext
Hi everyone.

A friend of mine I know through scouting who is a member and has been riding bikes for years asked me if I'd like to come along to yesterday's meet, with the view to seeing how it is and then pass my advanced test. I went along as my riding(on my SV, compared to my CG125) is crap.

My observer was Mark h (starter of this thread) and we went out with another person. Before I went to TVAM I had no real confidence in how to take corners properly, and wasn't very good at sitting on the bike in the proper position.

During the ride, after discussing what I was doing wrong and trying the things Mark suggested, I found I was cornering at 50+mph (a bit throttle happy sometimes) with confidence and being in total control, where as before I would have been ****ting myself and braking hard in anticipation of (what would be for me) difficult corners.

So my opinion on TVAM is that it's a very good thing, the fact that the observers do what they do free of charge and the detailed analysis of your riding that you get afterwards is great. Can't believe how much I improved in just one morning.

Anyone that is unsure about going, don't worry, it's a good club and everyone's friendly. As for people branding it with things like "full of old men, people on tourer's" or anything like that, well it's not really like that.

Ok, so from what I saw, most of the people there are older than me, but I'm 21 so that would seem the case from my point of view, but thats not neccessarily a bad thing, the help you get from people who are experienced riders, for the small yearly fee is excellent.

Mark-Thanks for the help.

Matt
sounds great mate, just like what i need really abit of direction to build some confidence and weather permiting i should make it along to the next one!
Old 19-01-09, 07:22 PM   #19
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Hands off Stu. I spotted them first!

Matt,
Glad you enjoyed it. Next time we'll work on landing those wheelies a bit better as currently your wheelie to stoppie transition is a little messy.

Arcdef,
I think Matt has about the same big bike experience as you (couple of months) so I guess if he got something out if it, you may too. Also, nothing in theory to stop you doing the WVAM taster session on the first Sunday, then the TVAM taster on the third Sunday and deciding which you prefer. However I understand the WVAM lot have a bacon butty van to lure riders in which we are sadly lacking over at TVAM just tea, chocs and pit girls.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 07:43 PM   #20
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Sorry to butt in on this discussion, but MarkH, do you know of anything like this in the Essex/Colchester area?

Thanks