SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-02-06, 02:22 PM   #1
dazzerj

Default Ashamed to admit this

Hello fellow SV'ers

I've had my particular little black beauty for 6 years next week and am ashamed to admit I never take a spanner to her. I fitted a belly pan within the first few weeks of ownership but that's it. However I have a question regarding the side panels. How do they come off? I removed the allen screw from the bottom, but they seem to be held by some kind of stud at the pointed end!? I didn't want to risk breaking them so just swung the panels back and to. Can somebody put me out of my quandry or should I just buy a Haynes?

The body work in general is very difficult to remove without knowing how to... I've replaced the screen, but that wasn't easy either. All of this from someone who once stripped down his Z1000 to have the frame stoved, and did it relatively easily. Guess everything is more complicated nowadays.

Thanks guys'n'gals
Old 20-02-06, 02:29 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

To get a side pannel off a curvey:
undo the allen bolts on the outside, the 2 larger allen bolts holding on the wing mirror from the inside, and the philips srew holding it from the inside at the front (look for this from the wheel upward and you'll see it) Those are the ones I remember, and just be very careful to check you're not still caught with a bolt you've missed. Also when you've undone one the indicator wire needs to be unclipped bfore it can come off by more than a few inches.
Old 20-02-06, 02:37 PM   #3
dazzerj

Default Thanks for the speedy reply

Jambo, cheers for trying, but you're thinking fairing by the sounds of it? I'm really sad, I mean the little plastic triangular panels that are on either side of the battery! Know where I mean? the vented triangles made from flat black plastic on all curvys.

It looks so easy, but they had me foxed.
Old 20-02-06, 02:39 PM   #4
diamond

It was just a little popper stud thingy holding it on once you'd removed the allen screw, just pull it and it should pop out.
Old 20-02-06, 02:52 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Its one of those pin things that you have the push the center up to remove the pin, if that sounds right? Just swing it out of the way unless you need to take it off?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-06, 02:54 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thanks for the speedy reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerj
Jambo, cheers for trying, but you're thinking fairing by the sounds of it? I'm really sad, I mean the little plastic triangular panels that are on either side of the battery! Know where I mean? the vented triangles made from flat black plastic on all curvys.

It looks so easy, but they had me foxed.
You are close my tall friend.

2 on top of the fairing, one on the front (Upper large headed bolt) one on the side at the rear of the pannel, the screw in the airvent, and remove the morror...1 screw and 2 hex bolts! Anyhoo, thats not what he asked
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-06, 02:55 PM   #7
Mark_h
Mega Poster

I usually just undo the bolt then leave them swinging on the black plastic rivit at the back. These plastic rivits are not too robust so if you keep taking them out then get loose then eventually drop out and are stupidly expensive to replace if you get genuine suzuki ones or a bit cheaper if you just buy "plastic rivits" of the right size.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-06, 02:56 PM   #8
Yarodia

or to be more specifific, use something to push the pin in then it should pull out easily, will probably snap like mine if you just pull them out

Suggest you get a Haynes anyway, it's totally worth the money! I got mine with the bike but would have bought one, they're almost as good as this site
Old 20-02-06, 03:12 PM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Whoops, been a while and a blinding case of "read the question"

After the allen bolts I'm 90% sure the side pannels are just held on with rubber gromets that need a bit of a tug to get them off. IIRC the plastic studs are not used on the side pannels, just the tail plastics.
Old 20-02-06, 03:16 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

The side panels below the seat.

The push stud fasteners are released by pressing the centre pin in a little until they just click. I use a small bolt with a nut fitted part way down (about 3mm of bolt protruding) so I can't push it through too far. The whole fastener then lifts out.

Don't push the centre pin in too far or it will go right through and into the frame tube.

To re-fit, one way is to push the pin right through the fastener and remove, then put it back in from the head side part way, it has a design feature so that the centre pin will be held in the "primed" position. When you put the panel back on put the fastener into the hole and into the frame, then press the centre pin until it clicks flush again.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote