SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-13, 02:48 PM   #1
Mega Poster

Default GSXR front end on SV1000?

Hey chaps.

I'll soon be selling my Street Triple and going for an Sv1000s. I've seen a couple of nice examples and want to immediately sort the suspension upon purchase. I'm not intending to do any track days so would rather go down the plush route than have the bike set up rock hard (I realise the 1000 has fully adjustable suspension but no harm in upgrading) If I were to bolt on a Gixxer front end, what's the best plug and play option for the 1000S?

If I don't go for the Gixxer front end, linear springs, fork oil change and a brake rebuild should suffice for day to day use, no?

Also, rear shocks, any recommendations?
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-13, 03:27 PM   #2
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV1000s suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Hey chaps.

I'll soon be selling my Street Triple and going for an Sv1000s. I've seen a couple of nice examples and want to immediately sort the suspension upon purchase. I'm not intending to do any track days so would rather go down the plush route than have the bike set up rock hard (I realise the 1000 has fully adjustable suspension but no harm in upgrading) If I were to bolt on a Gixxer front end, what's the best plug and play option for the 1000S?

If I don't go for the Gixxer front end, linear springs, fork oil change and a brake rebuild should suffice for day to day use, no?

Also, rear shocks, any recommendations?
I just had my stock settings twiddled with by someone in the know and left all the bits as they were. Last year I started to get all sorts of handling problems where it wouldn't turn in. Took off the steering damper which was lumpy as hell and it's all been perfect ever since. Got myself a replacement damper (GSX-R fits) but that's still sitting in bubble wrap on a shelf.

Tyre pressure also makes a huge difference.

Suggest you ride it, work out what (if anything) you don't lke then look into replacing that bit. Mark Hammond is the suspension guru I'd recommend if you want to ne twiddles with, serviced or upgraded.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-13, 05:07 PM   #3
davepreston

Default Re: GSXR front end on SV1000?

the thou basicly has gsxr front suspension its just not usd front forks , just get it all set up and serviced

as said the steering damper is a bit **** , i also just file 13'd it without issue

as for gsxr conversion have a word with RATTY on here he did it to his SZ

the rear spring is the only thing worth swaping out after 10.000 mile-ish , and that just to get one that last longer

i went from my thou SZ to the tiger, next year when ive the cash im going back

have you owned a sv thou before? are you aware of "the clunk" ? are you going gucci and for the SZ ?
Old 27-11-13, 07:06 PM   #4
Mega Poster

I had an sv650 aye, and yeah the clunk was under braking wasn't it? Can't remember.

I use Steve Jordan for tuning suspension etc, I took my Street Triple R there and he did a great job, maybe a little bit too hard up front but that's the nature of a Street, not quite the perfect bike everyone cracks 'em out to be.

Anyway, good news on the front end basically being a Gixxer, I knew it was better than the 650's. I believe a good rear shock makes a bike so much better in every way so will invest in something like a Maxton etc.

I reckon I'll just go for a full fork overhaul and put in some nice linear springs for my weight and see how it goes.
Old 29-11-13, 05:01 PM   #5
Mega Poster

Anything else anyone recommends doing to the bike to improve it overall? I saw a this youtube clip, the chap's got a damper looking effort on the n/s engine casing, says it smooths out the engine a bit, anyone know the source? (skip to around 4 minutes to see it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hHFEXFYpuc

Also, are there any other suspect things I should look out for on a thou upon inspection?
Old 29-11-13, 06:26 PM   #6
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Balance your throttle bodies, bin the steering damper, get some PR3 tyres on it, balance your TBs again, reset the suspension settings back to default then rebalance your TBs and go for a long ride or three.

If it run's wide on bends then twiddle with your front-end twiddly bits. If you find you're punted out of the seat then twiddle your back end twiddly bits. Else just fill it up again, ride it loads and regularly check your TBs are in sync.

If it's a K3 then listen out for a nasty sounding big end rattle at about 3k. They all do it, apparently never go bang but should get you a discount.

Last edited by Mark_h; 29-11-13 at 06:27 PM.
Old 29-11-13, 08:32 PM   #7
Mega Poster

I'll be going for a 2005-2007 model if I have my way. The TB's go outta sync a lot on the thou's? I assume it's a vacuum reader job to balance them?
Old 29-11-13, 10:16 PM   #8
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Not so much that they go out of sync often, more that you need to get them spot-on else it'll be a bit lumpy and lurchy at low revs. Not sure if it's the right way to do it but I sync mine at 2.5 - 3k which is when the imbalance is most noticeable.

I can also confirm that if the rear throttle body falls off while riding it gets very very lumpy.
Old 29-11-13, 11:16 PM   #9
davepreston

the TB problem was sorted after the k3, seriously look at the SZ model, they put more effort into the build as it was a special edition (and go for the same money as the normal ones)
GPR damper if your putting cash into it / power comander and get it set up for your chosen zausts / decent rear shock / double bubble screen is a must / decent rubber personally im an avon storm man for all weather riding / and the clutch adjustment is done by a guy on the SV Portal forum

any more Q's feel free to give me a shout
Old 01-12-13, 12:17 PM   #10
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
the TB problem was sorted after the k3, seriously look at the SZ model, they put more effort into the build as it was a special edition (and go for the same money as the normal ones)
GPR damper if your putting cash into it / power comander and get it set up for your chosen zausts / decent rear shock / double bubble screen is a must / decent rubber personally im an avon storm man for all weather riding / and the clutch adjustment is done by a guy on the SV Portal forum

any more Q's feel free to give me a shout
I've read the improved specs on the SZ, I can't help but detest the paint scheme though haha. Fickle I know! And no doubt it'd be daft to buy one just to change the paint scheme.

So what I was thinking from the get go:

PR4's
Exhausts if still standard on purchase
Do I need a power commander? I'm sure I read that the ECU was open enough to tuning.
Double Bubble
Some GBMoto rear sets
Uprated rear shock
Linear springs and new fork oil up front
Brake rebuild
Heated grips
Maybe a paint job if I go for one of those there SZ's