SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-15, 10:44 PM   #1
Jamesreabrookes

Default Brakes aaaagh

Hi

Anyone local to Cannock know anything about bleeding front brakes

I rebuilt my calipers with new seals as they were shot and now for the life of me can't fat them to bleed

Still got the rear to do as well

Thanks james
Old 09-11-15, 07:42 AM   #2
Fen Tiger

Default Re: Brakes aaaagh

I haven't tried other systems but I can recommend using a Mityvac vacuum system to bleed the brakes. The kit for home use is about £35 to £40 and lasts well. Should make short work of getting the air out. Great for flushing the system every year too.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 09:22 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

I've used two methods to bleed up stubborn brakes, both are successful but one takes longer, and is less toxic:

1) Cover the fuel tank, plastics etc in cling film to keep off any stray brake fluid. Get a long section of clear plastic tube (about 4 or 5 feet, the aquarium stuff from pet shops is good). Push one end over the bleed nipple. Take the other end up over the handlebars and fully submerge it in the brake fluid in the master cylinder. Use a couple of wire twist ties from plastic bags to hold it firmly in place.

Open the bleed nipple half a turn, squeeze brake lever SLOWLY and STOP when the lever is at the twistgrip. Tighten nipple. Release brake lever. Then open nipple, squeeze brake lever slowly again until the lever is at the grip, and close nipple. Repeat these steps until you've got brake fluid filling about a foot of the clear hose above the nipple. Then you can just leave the nipple open, and keep on squeezing the lever gently. Keep an eye on the level in the master cylinder and keep topping it up.

You've now got a closed loop where air cannot get in, and any trapped air has to rise up the tube to be expelled into the master cylinder.. When no more bubbles come (and you can leave it overnight with the tubes attached and bleed nipples open), close the nipples, remove the tubes carefully to avoid splashing fluid, and it's done.

2) Attach 3-foot length of new, CLEAN, clear tube to brake nipple. Put other end in mouth. Open nipple half turn, squeeze brake lever gently, and stop when the lever is at the grip. Then start sucking on the tube, and gently release brake lever. Then squeeze brake lever gently (don't close the nipple) and keep sucking. Obviously stop sucking before the brake fluid reaches your mouth. You'll look and feel stupid, but it works.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 09:45 AM   #4
Jamesreabrookes

ok thanks wil ltry and see what happens - better get shopping!!
Old 09-11-15, 09:53 AM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If you do a search on here under brakes and bleeding you will find this has been discussed several times. Investing money in a vacuum kit is fine if you're going to be doing it regularly but is a bit extravagant for a one off in my view.

The problem when filling a dry system and bleeding it conventionally is you are trying to get the air to go down faster than physics wants it to go up. Using method one above is a way of helping it out a bit but.... If far easier to push the air out of the top and keep physics on your side.

Either get a syringe or a reasonable length of bleed pipe, fill it with brake fluid and attach it to the open bleed nipple. Then gently force the fluid into the system either with the syringe or pressurising the end of the pipe with your mouth. If just using a pipe you may need to refill it a couple of times by dipping it in a bottle of fluid and sucking some up (tip, make sure you put the same end in your mouth each time) and don't forget to close the nipple when you remove the pipe. Start with an empty master cylinder, by the time it's about half full you should be able to stop and bleed the brakes in the conventional way.

Just remember air rises. If you have any loops or joints in your system try and position them so the rising air doesn't get trapped.

Last edited by Red Herring; 09-11-15 at 09:57 AM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 09:57 AM   #6
Fen Tiger

Re 2). Above, be aware that brake fluid is poisonous and will damage vital organs if ingested.

Last edited by Fen Tiger; 09-11-15 at 10:02 AM.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:51 AM   #7
Jamesreabrookes

THanks I have ordered a vacuum pump system so no fliud sucking required
Old 09-11-15, 04:12 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen Tiger View Post
Re 2). Above, be aware that brake fluid is poisonous and will damage vital organs if ingested.
I forgot to add that as a warning, but it's good advice. I've titrated worse stuff by mouth, though

Discount shops often have big plastic syringes for use in cooking, and those are great for brake bleeding too.

Last edited by Craig380; 09-11-15 at 04:13 PM.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 07:34 PM   #9
Tamsen Cooper

Hey, I am down in Cornwall so too far for me to travel, however, I did cover calliper rebuild and brake bleeding in my youtube videos if that helps. I used a combination of vacuum pump and lever. I found the pump was great at drawing the fluid through, but that by pumping the brake lever gave me a much better and more solid feel with all the air expelled. I hope it helps

Bleeding part starts at about 9:05 through this video.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 07:49 PM   #10
AlexAdams

At last a brakes not breaks thread!