SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-11-05, 01:40 PM   #1
The Mass

Default No Brakes

Hi all,

Trondled down the road to work this morn, and I usually do the norm of checking the brakes and so on before hitting the M4.
Checked the back brake on the way, and it was non-existent, so I pumped my foot about 3 or 4 times, and then it kicked in

Any ideas, I've checked for brake fluid leaks and so on, can't find anything? anything I should be checking?

any help much appreciated, don't like the fact of getting back on her later to do 125 miles back home...

Cheers - mass
Old 15-11-05, 01:44 PM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

Sounds like the pads/pistons had been pushed back, or some kind of contraction of the fluid - which is very unlikely.

It's possible that there is air in the system, which has contracted. Either way, rebleed the system just to make sure.
Old 15-11-05, 01:45 PM   #3
huge

I had it once when the rear caliper was sticking. But then it would lock on or not work at all!

Just a suggestion. Any other ideas out there?
Old 15-11-05, 01:47 PM   #4
padmane

Default Bleeding heck!

Sounds like you have air in the system. You'll need to bleed the air out ASAP. Easy job. Just be careful on the way home.
Old 15-11-05, 01:49 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The best possible scenario is that your brake for some reason got backed off, that is the piston/s were pushed back into the caliper, like you would do when fitting new pads. Can think of no reason why this would happen spontaneously.

However there is the possibility that the friction material has come away from one of the pads, if so do not use the brake, it isn't working properly as there may be one pad and one backplate contacting the disc.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-05, 01:54 PM   #6
JakeRS

125 miles to work, then 125 miles back?!?!

S*d that for a laugh!
Old 15-11-05, 05:22 PM   #7
Stormspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
The best possible scenario is that your brake for some reason got backed off, that is the piston/s were pushed back into the caliper, like you would do when fitting new pads. Can think of no reason why this would happen spontaneously.

However there is the possibility that the friction material has come away from one of the pads, if so do not use the brake, it isn't working properly as there may be one pad and one backplate contacting the disc.
I'll put pics of mine on here later, it was on the front though Nothing left on right front disc .
Old 15-11-05, 07:30 PM   #8
tomjones2

not that it directly relates to this subject but does anyone else find the back brake on the sv a bit soft compared to other bikes they have ridden?
Old 16-11-05, 01:26 AM   #9
Warren

was it raining ? could have been water or oil on your discs,

but you would have felt something surely ?
Old 16-11-05, 01:34 AM   #10
The Basket

When I first got the SV, the back brake was good and I was happy with. It's faded to soft since though...curses. I thought pads got bitey with time...when the outside coating goes and roughs up...my mistake.
Sounds like the pads went into the brakes and needed pushing back out again. Not a concern...happens if you drop it or summat. Or do big stoppies