SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 16-01-09, 05:57 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default IAM Advanced riding this weekend 18th Jan

I accept it's not for everyone and I'll not go on about it, but several people were interested last year so thought that as the weather has warmed up a bit I'd mention it.

This Sunday is the third Sunday of the month so the TVAM IAM club is open for anyone to turn up and see if they like it for free. You'll need to be at St.Crispins school, Wokingham at 09:00 Sunday with a tank full of fuel and a spare morning.

Particularly useless website with partially useful map can be found here. www.tvam.org

Pipe, slippers and lardy old touring bike will be allocated on arrival.

Drop me a PM if you want more details.

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-09, 07:19 PM   #2
crewmanchris

Default Re: IAM Advanced riding this weekend 18th Jan

sounds good but have you seen the forecast?! Will try to go anong later in the year!
Old 16-01-09, 07:58 PM   #3
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Forecast shows Sunday to be the day after the rain on Saturday and before the hail on Monday. Cloudy with sunny bits according to the BBC.

Actually the worse the weather, the more you get to learn as
1. You don't feel you have to ride quick so can focus on technique.
2. Fewer riders turn up so you getter a better riderbserver ratio.
Old 16-01-09, 08:27 PM   #4
arcdef

what length of time should you have been riding for if you wanted to go along? ive ony been riding for a month or two so not sure if its worthwhile me going along?
Old 16-01-09, 08:38 PM   #5
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcdef View Post
what length of time should you have been riding for if you wanted to go along? ive ony been riding for a month or two so not sure if its worthwhile me going along?
30 to 40 years is the minimum, and you need to bring your own pipe and slippers. BMWs optional.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-09, 08:52 PM   #6
arcdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
30 to 40 years is the minimum, and you need to bring your own pipe and slippers. BMWs optional.
was hoping for a proper answer? dont care about reputation just want to get any advice possible
Old 16-01-09, 09:01 PM   #7
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
was hoping for a proper answer?
I know.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-09, 10:00 PM   #8
tonyk
Mega Poster

Arcdef,
I went here last year…..There is no pressure into joining, so just turn up and get a free observed ride, plus free cup of tea…
There are a variety of riders with varied experiences, from month’s to years of riding……..
After your ride you get a debriefing stating on what parts you need to pay attention on ….
Its all cool stuff…
So don’t be intimidated in your lack of experience….
you’ve passed your test which IS a great achievement in it self….
Go for it…..

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...

Last edited by tonyk; 16-01-09 at 11:16 PM.
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-09, 12:05 AM   #9
injury_ian

I was 24 when I joined, and I'd been riding a year, However, the sooner you start the less bad habits will have formed in your riding. (the less you have to re-learn etc)

Ie, join up as soon as you like, IAM is an on going thing, the test as actually quite a low standard, there is more to learn as you gain more experience.
Old 17-01-09, 09:24 PM   #10
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Up to you. I've been out with one newbie who'd literally upgraded from his 125 to his full license the week before. Others have 40+ years and either keep scaring themselves, ridden with an advanced rider and liked what they saw or more often rode for 20 years 20 years ago, got back into it and want to get some confidence back. There is a right mixed bag and as long as you go in with an open mind and get allocated a decent observer you should get something out of it.

If you fancy it, just turn up and see what happens. Worse thing is you have a ride to Wokingham don't enjoy it and waste a morning.

There are three main camps.
1. Those that do it, get lots out of it and go evangelising to anyone who'll listen to the point it puts folk off.
2. Those that tried it and didn't like it.
3. By far the biggest group are those that have a strong view against it, are convinced it's full of beardy dullards and despite never actually trying it just tell everyone it's a waste of time.

Best to listen to groups 1&2 and make your own judgements about group 3 based on your experience of their general attitude to biking.

I think you've previously mentioned you are in Fleet. If you're up for it and your bike has some working brakes, feel free to meet up on the way in. That way you get to learn where the place is and someone will tell you what to do when you get there. Unless it's absolutely tipping it down I'll be meeting some others outside the estate agents between the two roundabouts in Hartley Whitney at about 08:30.