SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-07, 06:17 PM   #1
Sideshow#36

Question Steering lock for Steering damper

Hi all, I am ordering a steering damper for next seasons minitwins racing. Now under the rules and regs the damper itself cannot act as a steering lock device. So i.e. the stroke of the damper must be larger than the distance lock to lock. The dampers are availiable from 75mm up to about 150mm i think. Does anybody know the distance lock to lock?
Cheers guys n gals.
Old 30-08-07, 09:26 PM   #2
Robw#70

Default Re: Steering lock for Steering damper

spend your money elsewhere, def not required on an sv.

the length of the damper will depend on what you do with the lockstops, ie if they're on the fairing bracket, headstock or std, a side mount one would be too long on std lockstops, matris do a 916 style that imho is the best on the market and similar price to less effective rotary dampers.
but as i said not required, not of 30 or so sv's i've setup none have needed one
Old 30-08-07, 09:38 PM   #3
Sideshow#36

Thats cool mate, I'm just of the opinion of I'd rather have it and not need. Its the hyperpro one ive bought. And yes ive already sorted the suspension with the elka rear shock and hyperpro progressive front springs and thicker oil. So i'd still like the size if possible. Even if I dont get on with it I can always take it off and sell it.
Old 30-08-07, 10:02 PM   #4
Robw#70

you need to measure the travel where the damper will be mounted from lock to lock, it will vary depending on where you mount it, the hyperpro ones are intended for 916 fitment generally and i doubt even a 150mm stroke will be enough if side mounted frame to the forkleg.
(dont hyperpro do a kit, btw fitting kits are sold seperately)

in racing terms its a pair and half of tyres or nearly two weekends race entries, but the choice is yours

Last edited by Robw#70; 30-08-07 at 10:05 PM.
Old 30-08-07, 10:19 PM   #5
Sideshow#36

Yeah I know mate. I take it you are curently in the bemsee series or MRO? Its just one of those things that ive decided to budget for. Ive has a few slappers on the road and it scared the pants off me. I dont mind inadvertant wheelies or locking up but slappers i just feel like a passenger and I want to at all cost avoid it. Even if it only happes once all season it will be £300 well spent. It does come with the fitting kit and its 916 style, not side mounted.
Old 30-08-07, 10:27 PM   #6
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow46 View Post
Yeah I know mate. I take it you are curently in the bemsee series or MRO? Its just one of those things that ive decided to budget for. Ive has a few slappers on the road and it scared the pants off me. I dont mind inadvertant wheelies or locking up but slappers i just feel like a passenger and I want to at all cost avoid it. Even if it only happes once all season it will be £300 well spent. It does come with the fitting kit and its 916 style, not side mounted.

Rob#70 = Suspension guy/Current Thunderbike champion and class rep/Ex minitwinner(front runner of MRO)/ANd Dyno guy for PDQ

I'[m guessing the slappers you are talking about are acutally just the steering wobbling as if it is a true slapper then you'd have hit the deck quite a few times. WObbles should not be feared and just ridden out with the throttle pinned
Old 30-08-07, 10:39 PM   #7
Sideshow#36

Sorry but did I say he was wrong? Well sorry but I dont know who he is from Adam. 'm new to racing and i will gladly accept any advice given but there are a couple of provisos.
There was a guy for instance who turned up last weekend. Cant remember his name, who turned up on a pretty much stock SV who did really well. Now evreyone has said oh god sort the suspension you really must!!! Well I took the advice and have just spent £600 F+R on suspension, but this guy proved you dont need to, to be competetive. Just a sprinkling of talent. Not something I have a lot of and as you say Its a confidence thing. I hate tank slappers and yes they were, not wobbles. I'll probably get on the track and after a few rounds, say yeah sod it I dont need it. Then flog it.
Sorry to come accross a bit blunt as you two have vastly more experiance than myself but surely as a rookie I have to find these things out for myself. I will never learn the true ins and outs just by listening to other people. Cheers anyway.
Old 30-08-07, 11:09 PM   #8
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow46 View Post
Sorry but did I say he was wrong? Well sorry but I dont know who he is from Adam.
Sorry but you asked who he was and i told you. The info wasnt given with any malice, pretence or any hint of sarcasm. Just simply the info you asked for.
Quote:
'm new to racing and i will gladly accept any advice given but there are a couple of provisos.
There was a guy for instance who turned up last weekend. Cant remember his name, who turned up on a pretty much stock SV who did really well. Now evreyone has said oh god sort the suspension you really must!!! Well I took the advice and have just spent £600 F+R on suspension, but this guy proved you dont need to, to be competetive. Just a sprinkling of talent. Not something I have a lot of and as you say Its a confidence thing. I hate tank slappers and yes they were, not wobbles.
Quite possibly just big wobbles as true tank slappers will have you off the bike. however i agree that if you arnt used to them they are scary things. Oh and i have a GPR damper on my bike if only because it came with it when i bought it and i havent got round to trying the bike without it to see whats it's like.
Quote:
I'll probably get on the track and after a few rounds, say yeah sod it I dont need it. Then flog it.
Possibly, and if you do decide to sell it you will have no problems getting rid of it.

Quote:
Sorry to come accross a bit blunt as you two have vastly more experiance than myself but surely as a rookie I have to find these things out for myself. I will never learn the true ins and outs just by listening to other people. Cheers anyway.
I'm a rookie this year aswell. I come across knowledgable and mechanically i do have a fair experience but in terms of riding then i have nothing more than a few seasons trackdaying and nearly a seasons racing. Nothing compared to Rob and SV650racer
Old 30-08-07, 11:18 PM   #9
Sideshow#36

Cool, cheers mate. As I said advice is really helpful 99% of the time and I will need it but this whole thread was started by me asking for the lock to lock size. LOL
I have looked into all the pros and cons and yes they are expensive and most people reakon you dont need em. But its just my personal preference.
Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.