SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-01-08, 10:09 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default SV1000 miles per tank

I know it's been asked a million times for the SV650 and the answer is usually c135 miles, but I've recently acquired an SV1000 and am lucky to get 100 miles before the yellow lamp comes on. Is this normal?

It's been home serviced by the last owner so not sure if it's just horribly out of balance or if 100 miles to a tank is about par for the course on the 1000.

It's got a BMC induction kit on it but I've swapped out the straight through 2:1 system (far too noisy) for the stock pair with cats and lots of restriction so it'll be breathing all wrong at the moment anyway. Will be sticking a pair of CCCs on it shortly so that should sort the breathing out somewhat.

Mind you it goes like stink so guess it's going to drink a bit more than the 650.

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 10:39 PM   #2
phizog

Default Re: SV1000 miles per tank

Keep in mind that the light come on very early on these bikes. I suggest you get a jerry can of fuel, carry it with you on the bike, then run it till dry. This way you know how many kms you get roughly per tank. You can then use your trip meter to tell you when to fill up rather than having to rely on the inaccurate and deceiving light.
Old 01-01-08, 11:45 PM   #3
AlanSv

With a PiperX filter, race cans, and a bit of Yoshi tuning, my old SV1k did approx 100miles before the light came on, and about 34ish miles on reserve.
Old 02-01-08, 08:55 PM   #4
mattSV
Mega Poster

Mark - welcome to the big v twin club

I usually get around 90 to a tank when commuting to work (lots of traffic light grand prix ) however can also get up to 130 on a decent run - even two up.

If you think it is running rough then it might be worth getting it to Steve Jordan Motorcycles (not too far from you) - http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co...st.asp?C=1&S=5

I had mine serviced and remapped by Steve and it made a big difference.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 10:04 AM   #5
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV View Post
Mark - welcome to the big v twin club
Wot he said !!

The best I've ever got was 158 miles - light on for 30 miles before I found a service station)

The worst I've ever had was 64 miles - may have been expensive but that hour was one of the best I've ever had on a bike !!

Average mixed riding - 90ish before light comes on

NAKED (ie proper) SV 1000 - CCC cans & snorkelectomy

Just thought, I wonder if changing the single headlight for twins has made any difference (either good or bad) due to altered wind resistance ?
Old 03-01-08, 10:11 AM   #6
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Sounds like it's about right then and once I stop winding it open and grinning I may be able to get back to some sensible MPG.

Supervox, you mention you've got the CCC cans. I have one of these on my 650 and was going to get a pair for the 1000. It was a nice can on the 650. Are they OK on the 1000?

Rather than a snorkelectomy, my airbox lid is in a box in the garage. It has a BMC filter straight into the gap under the fuel tank which has had all the foam stripped away so it breathes very easily and makes a HUGE induction noise at anything over about 8k. With the Baglux tank cover and bag off it's actually painfully loud once it gets going.

Oh and any recommended tyres for the 1000? I had Z6s on the 650 which I was very pleased with want something that will last a while but all the tyre threads seem to be 650 related. What is the accepted wisdom for tyres for the biggie?

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 01:43 PM   #7
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Supervox, you mention you've got the CCC cans. I have one of these on my 650 and was going to get a pair for the 1000. It was a nice can on the 650. Are they OK on the 1000?
They're lovely on the Thou - especially when the baffle is removed - which mine only ever is when I'm on private grounds obviously.

Quote:
Oh and any recommended tyres for the 1000? I had Z6s on the 650 which I was very pleased with want something that will last a while but all the tyre threads seem to be 650 related. What is the accepted wisdom for tyres for the biggie?
I have to say that I like the Michelin Pilot Sports (OE were Pilot Road) but then I'm not a particularly 'hard' rider & don't neccessarily always crank it hard over through the bends - although I guess I do have my moments !!
Old 03-01-08, 01:47 PM   #8
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
I'm not a particularly 'hard' rider
Hmmmm...... Must have been your brother I met then.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 07:13 PM   #9
Ratty

I’m using Michelin Pilot Power 2CT which are great when hot. Really grippy and ideal if your going to do a couple of track days. Can't comment of their longevity yet though. They also seem to cool quite quickly in town compared to the Avon Viper Sports I had on the 650.

Hope this helps.
Alan
Old 03-01-08, 07:25 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Is this normal?
Just about, yes. Mine is ordinarily 100ish, best ever was 155ish, seen low 70's a couple of times.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote