SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 15-07-15, 04:13 PM   #31
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project Thou!

this is a tank slapper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1srcQMa_0 all others are speed wobbles. once a bike goes into a true tank slapper there is nothing you can do. even a steering damper wont help as the forces are very violent. its like a bridge going into oscillation.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-15, 04:24 PM   #32
Mark_h
Mega Poster

It would appear the damper was fitted to the SV1000 only because the TL1000 was a bit of a handful.

In general bog standard damper will meke turning the bars "stiffer" Once they get worn they lost their consistency so will be stiff on part of the travel and free running on others or even stick in places. Mine had all sorts of problems including air in it so it was jerky as hell. I since cleaned it up and replaced the oil and it's a lot smoother but not refitted to the bike.

Imagine somone randomly turning up and down a stiffness adjuster on your handlebars and that's what mine was like. All kinds of random front end behaviour when in bends and weeesh wooosh noises when doing 3 point turns.

Took it off and it all handled a lot lighter and far more consistently. Got some feel back from the front wheel when in bends and could feel the front end going light under power all of which were missing when the damper was fitted.

So far as I can see, unless you are a ham-fisted lunatic or have oodles of power a damper is just bling and bling that hampers your handlling in my experience is anything to go by.

If I get a tankslapper starting, I simply pull a wheelie, let it settle down. put the front wheel down then complete the overtake as if nothing had happened*

See the guy at 1:17 in this video for a "how-to"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzB6KSlD6ec

However, if you fancy fitting or retaining a damper then feel free to do so just make sure it does not get jerky.

Cheers,

*yea right! Personally I don't ride like a ham-fisted lunatic.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.

Last edited by Mark_h; 15-07-15 at 04:34 PM.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-15, 06:35 PM   #33
ScottishRawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
remember and notify DVLA and your insurance company of the colour change. if you dont you will get pulled by the plod as the bike will come up as silver.
but its not permanent, i can peel it all off and then its silver.
All I learnt from my 3months owning a CBR, My right hand prefers twins!
ScottishRawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-15, 07:38 PM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes but the police can seize it if they believe that its not what it is supposed to be, you will then have to prove that it is the bike you say it is and to top that off you will have to pay the impound fee's to get it back. it takes any little excuse these days for the police to do wtftl.

if you crash it then your insurance in null and void as well.

i'm not trying to be negative i'm trying to help
Old 15-07-15, 07:52 PM   #35
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Not to mention that of course Silver is the best colour anyway
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-15, 08:28 PM   #36
ScottishRawker

if the police stop me and say its not what it is meant to be, i will peel off the coating and they will see its silver.
then no impound costs
All I learnt from my 3months owning a CBR, My right hand prefers twins!
ScottishRawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-15, 09:37 PM   #37
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm afraid it wont work like that. no matter what excuse you try and give them they WILL take the bike from you if they feel like it and there is NOTHING you can do about it. do you honestly think the police are going to stand there and let you peal the plastic coating off the bike.. they dont care.

as i said i'm not trying to put a downer on what you have done i'm trying to help.

you cant just go changing the colour of your bike/car anytime you feel like it or we would all be doing it.
Old 15-07-15, 11:15 PM   #38
tonyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
It would appear the damper was fitted to the SV1000 only because the TL1000 was a bit of a handful.

In general bog standard damper will meke turning the bars "stiffer" Once they get worn they lost their consistency so will be stiff on part of the travel and free running on others or even stick in places. Mine had all sorts of problems including air in it so it was jerky as hell. I since cleaned it up and replaced the oil and it's a lot smoother but not refitted to the bike.

Imagine somone randomly turning up and down a stiffness adjuster on your handlebars and that's what mine was like. All kinds of random front end behaviour when in bends and weeesh wooosh noises when doing 3 point turns.

Took it off and it all handled a lot lighter and far more consistently. Got some feel back from the front wheel when in bends and could feel the front end going light under power all of which were missing when the damper was fitted.

So far as I can see, unless you are a ham-fisted lunatic or have oodles of power a damper is just bling and bling that hampers your handlling in my experience is anything to go by.

If I get a tankslapper starting, I simply pull a wheelie, let it settle down. put the front wheel down then complete the overtake as if nothing had happened*

See the guy at 1:17 in this video for a "how-to"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzB6KSlD6ec

However, if you fancy fitting or retaining a damper then feel free to do so just make sure it does not get jerky.

Cheers,

*yea right! Personally I don't ride like a ham-fisted lunatic.
Yep I know the crap steering damper gets air in it as I've had all that bother too...But when hard on it or at track day ****ing about I know the steering damper does come in handy...I've got a fairly new ie no air bubbles GSXR 750 fitted to mine and would never leave home without it....
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-15, 11:26 PM   #39
Tomor
Mega Poster

I'm pretty sure you don't need to notify the DVLA of a wrap/plastidip as it is temporary not a permanent colour change.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 16-07-15, 12:31 AM   #40
Bibio
Mega Poster

not anymore. you must notify the DVLA of a full colour change.

https://evolutionsigns.co.uk/dvla-vehicle-wrap-policy/ and a few other sites are saying the same.

i'm saying this just in case of the possibility that the police might take offence. is it really worth taking the risk. any excuse will do the police these days to get cash from the public.