SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-12, 08:35 PM   #1
speedyctr

Default Bike won't start - electrical issue (2003 SV650)

Yet again i need the orgs help please. I was at the Ponderosa today, as I went to leave and turned the key in ignition absolutley nothing happened.

Tried jump leads, checked fuses, wiggled wires, some people who seemed to know what they were doing helped but had to call breakdown service in the end.

From what i've read I think it's the reg/rec as it seems quite a common issue so if you agree I'll search for info on here with regards to replacing it.
speedyctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 09:46 PM   #2
Shawthing

Default Re: Bike won't start - electrical issue (2003 SV650)

I suspect:- Green 'ignition barrel to loom' connector.
http://forums.sv650.org/attachment.p...8&d=1309299692

Lift the tank, take off top of airbox and then disconect bottom of airbox from throttle bodies and push it backwards to get access to the connector which is at the back of the headstock. Open it up and take a look.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.

Last edited by Shawthing; 03-03-12 at 10:52 PM.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 10:28 PM   #3
aaron020873

Had a similar issue on a scooter (don't laugh) i once owned, it turned out to be a hairline crack in the protective outer of one of the cables in the wiring loom where it went round the frame and had rubbed causing it to short out on the frame when trying to start. I don't know where the loom runs on the sv but if it runs near the frame it is worth checking. I fixed it with lots of electricians tape.
Old 03-03-12, 10:31 PM   #4
aaron020873

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron020873 View Post
Had a similar issue on a scooter (don't laugh) i once owned, it turned out to be a hairline crack in the protective outer of one of the cables in the wiring loom where it went round the frame and had rubbed causing it to short out on the frame when trying to start. I don't know where the loom runs on the sv but if it runs near the frame it is worth checking. I fixed it with lots of electricians tape.

Just thought about this and i think it also blew a fuse as well, and you say your fuses are ok, so it probably is not this but still may be worth checking.
Old 04-03-12, 10:44 AM   #5
kiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawthing View Post
I suspect:- Green 'ignition barrel to loom' connector.
http://forums.sv650.org/attachment.p...8&d=1309299692

Lift the tank, take off top of airbox and then disconect bottom of airbox from throttle bodies and push it backwards to get access to the connector which is at the back of the headstock. Open it up and take a look.
same thing happened to me on my sv650 2003. just as i was about to go out on a ride out. easy fix, most annoying time to happen.
Old 04-03-12, 10:59 AM   #6
Geodude
Mega Poster

When you say nothing happened did you get any instrument lights or clicking or is it totally dead? Battery got any charge?

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 11:07 AM   #7
speedyctr

photo by Speedyctr, on Flickr
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I took top off the airbox and just checked the connections I could get to. I just poked around in there and it came on! I think the one to the top of the picture (which is on the right side of bike) was the culprit bit that goes to speed sensor which I did replace recently so I could have pulled it then. It that wouldn't stop everything from working would it? I need to discover which one came loose so it doesn't happen again. Might take lower part of airbox off now to get a better look.

Just to clarify there was absolutely nothing working before as if there was no battery.

Last edited by speedyctr; 04-03-12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 03:02 PM   #8
Shawthing

Virtually All bike's power goes through the GREEN connector.
This is the one you need to take apart.
Loosen the two screws that clamp the bottom of the airbox to the two throttle bodies. Lift the airbox and push it backwards.
The green connector shoud be able to be slid upwards towards you then.

Worth checking internals of all the connectors though.

Depending on what you find, and what if any ancillary power hungry additions you have on the bike ( heated grips etc) ,though you will need to make a decision on the type of repair to stop this occuring to you again. ( cleaning and refititng contacts, fitting bypass parallel wiring, additional relays and power wiring, fitting replacement sealed connector, hard wiring ignition barrel to the loom )

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.

Last edited by Shawthing; 04-03-12 at 03:23 PM.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-12, 03:52 PM   #9
speedyctr

Manage to get to green connector last weekend and it was the textbook fried connector!
Couple of snips and bit of soldering and it is sweet again