SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-08, 07:23 PM   #1
sv-robo

Default Flat Battery?

Hi all,

On thursday my next door neighbours were having some brickwork done on the outside of their house,so i removed my bike(used to be an sv,now a cbr 600rr,2004)to avoid any potential accidents.

The bike as normal started first time,around an hour later it was safe to put it back again so i went to start it up.The instrument panel all lit up but the bike was dead as far as turning it over would go,so i pushed it back in the yard and put it on trickle charge for 1/2hr,went back to it and it fired up 1st time,but did'nt ride it.

Today (48hrs later)i went to use it and the same has happened again,did everything as normal but again was dead when i went to start it,so again put on trickle charge for 20/30 mins and it fired up 1st time again.

I have now borrowed a mates battery charger and have got the battery on overnight charge.Should this rectify the problem or could there be something more sinister at large?
Old 12-07-08, 09:05 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Flat Battery???

If charging it overnight doesn't cure it then it needs a new battery. Leaving it ticking over for a few minutes isn't going to put much charge in it so the charging system isn't suspect. If it cabbages when riding then suspect the charging.
Old 12-07-08, 11:05 PM   #3
fatneck

Default Re: Flat Battery???

have you tried with a normal trickle type charger or using a proper optimate type charger?
Old 13-07-08, 08:21 AM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Flat Battery?

Get a multimeter and check the charging system.If thats OK your battery needs checking.Its an 04 bike so battery could be sh&gged by now especially if you dont use an Optimate.
Old 13-07-08, 08:55 AM   #5
Baph

Sounds to me like you have a little leak from your battery (electrons, not acid - no need to jump like that )

Probable cause is an old battery, but watch out for it happening again with a new one - could be any one of the relays connected directly to the battery that's leaking. If that's the case, work out which it is (simple really, the relay will have power when it's not meant to) then replace the relay.
Old 13-07-08, 10:32 AM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-robo View Post
put it on trickle charge for 1/2hr
That is absolutely useless unless you are going for an instant start, i.e give it a night or a few and it will be dead again.

A Optimate over night is the best option to take, this will also determine the state of the battery.
Old 13-07-08, 11:09 AM   #7
sv-robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
That is absolutely useless unless you are going for an instant start, i.e give it a night or a few and it will be dead again.

A Optimate over night is the best option to take, this will also determine the state of the battery.
Yep i understand that,only put it on for 1/2 hour just to see whether there was life being put back in or whether the battery was fudged.

I have now had the battery on overnight charge (around 16 hrs)and just put it back on and it fired up quickly first time.

Hopefully that is job sorted,but if it loses it's charge again over the next day or 2 then i will get a new battery for it,if the same then happens again then i will have to have it checked out for something a bit more sinister.

thanks all.......robo.
Old 13-07-08, 12:29 PM   #8
BillyC
Mega Poster

Have you checked your clutch switch?
Old 09-09-08, 07:13 PM   #9
sv-robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-robo View Post

I have now had the battery on overnight charge (around 16 hrs)and just put it back on and it fired up quickly first time.

Hopefully that is job sorted,but if it loses it's charge again over the next day or 2 then i will get a new battery for it,if the same then happens again then i will have to have it checked out for something a bit more sinister.

thanks all.......robo.
Hi again

Well just been out to start the bike up(not been used for 10 days)and 2 months after starting this thread & putting the battery on a 16hr charge & starting fine ever since,iit,s happened again,instrument panel lit up as normal but little more than a click when trying to fire it up.

I have again put the battery on charge & it's reading full power like it did 2 months back.

so a few questions
1/Should i just persivere with this battery til i store it up for winter(keep on charging).Then get a new battery in spring?

2/Is it a new battery thats needed?as it is reading fully charged

3/A different problem

cheers all Robo......
Old 09-09-08, 08:06 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Like I said two months ago,no one can tell you what the problem is unless you get a multimeter and check the charging system.Its probably the battery,but you wont know that until you check it all out.