SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 12-02-08, 11:51 AM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default First time Helmet advice for a friend.

I've a friend who is just getting into biking, doing his CBT this week (in his crosser helmet) and will then be on with having lessons, doing his test etc. He'll just be using a bike for fun in the future, he has a 4x4 pick up for work and a new Civic Type 'R for transport.

He's planning on getting his own helmet for the road, and wants a decent make without paying over the odds. He understands a good helmet should fit and wants some advice on makes/models.

So far I've said that Arai, Shoei, AGV and HJC make good helmets. I think he's looking to budget between £100-250 )and may be happy getting last year's model if discounted etc.). He wants a normal lid, i.e non flip up chin guard.

So can people recommend any other makes/models?

What are Shark, Vemar, KBC, Nitro like?

Are there any makes he should avoid?

Cheers,

Tim
Old 12-02-08, 11:57 AM   #2
Welsh_Wizard

Default Re: First time Helmet advice for a friend.

I had a Shark helmet for well over 4 yrs. Amazing helmet. Really quiet, snug fit, good range of aftermarket visors and an excellent price.

They don't shirk on quality either and the inner foam inserts after 4yrs wear are still immaculate and spongy. This is someone who uses gel too on my bonce which could lead to the inside of a helmet getting abit grotty.

Haven't tried the other budget makes simply 'cos the Shark did it all and more.

(ps, no i don't work for Shark - just really impressed with their helmets)

(pps, yes, i will try and find the exact make I had. Think it was the S600)
Old 12-02-08, 01:39 PM   #3
Skip
Mega Poster

I have had a KBC helmet for the past 3 years - very comfortable - quiter than my new Arai - mine is the VR-7 model - I paid ?120 reduced from ?180.

Bargain IMO
Old 12-02-08, 06:08 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Thanks for the feedback so far, Shark and KBC both sound good. Anymore suggestions out there?
Old 12-02-08, 07:17 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

you'll find certain helmets makes fit certain head shapes, and won't really know until you try them on, o a trip down the local bike shop is probably in order.

the Roof division Helmet is a nice quiet lid though (borrowed for an inpromptual test ride from a dealers) but not my head shape so I couldn't buy one, fortunately I have several Arai's and shoeis already so I'm already catered for.

Generally the plainner the shall the less noise (stickyup air ducts and such) and single colours tend to save a bit as well.

not sure on others, but under the inside padding all Aria's carry a manufacturing date sticker, so if looking at "last years" ones you can tell when it was produced.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-08, 11:24 AM   #6
Squidders

As has been said, people have branded heads... I have an arai shaped head as does my girlfriend... bloke behind me in the office has a shoei shaped head.

My only advice is to max out your budget on the best helmet you can get. If/when you do use it, the insurance will replace it along with everything else and the better models have generally superior venting, lighter weight, comfier padding and will take more damage before your skull is damaged.

I trust: Arai, Shoei, Shark & AGV

I do not trust: Nitro, Nolan or anything under £150 generally. Certainly don't go near anything with a big line down the middle