SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-08, 09:25 AM   #1
Dappa D

Default Right then...what order should I get these things done.....

Im in a bit of a pickle and dont really know what to have done next on the sv....

money is tight.....(booked a long weekend in amsterdam last night with the missus!! roll on 16th oct..!!)

as some will know I put bigger jets in at the weekend....im happy with the results...however i dont think i put the throttle cables back on properly as the hardest one to get to seemed loose, and also the choke lever used to pull back about an inch and now only moves about half an inch then goes tight although it still works....also the clutch lever seems to have more slack now... i THINK these 2 levers are to do with the plunger (?) that i removed from the front carb (and put back on afterwards without a new o-ring (?)

also after doing this its quite difficult to find neutral when at a stand still / junction...(yes oil levels are good)

even with these things above the bike rides well and feels good but i know they are different from before and am worried that i didnt put the throttle cables back right (although the throttle is as responsive as before) or the plunger back right..(and although all working COULD be causing damage slowly)

I would like to put the bike on a dyno and see how the power is and how the a/f mixture is

I would also like to have the carbs balanced and a professional (while the carbs are being balanced) look at the throttle cables and choke/clutch plunger (?) to make sure they are ok and correct if need be....

so my question is this...what order would be best to get this done?...my options i think are as follows...

put bike on dyno as it is...see what needs doing...(i.e, a/f mixture settings, may need to re-shim, may need to change pin position etc)
and then get the carbs balanced and do whatever needs doing while its in the garage....

or...

get the carbs balanced before the dyno (therefor also having the choke / clutch and throttle cables sorted if need be) and then getting it on the dyno.....problem with this is if the dyno tells me im low in a certain range or the a/f mixture need sorting i will attemp it myself and could possibly mess the stuff that has just been corrected up again (make sense?)

sorry its long winded!!!!!

Thanks for any replies

Dappa D
Old 17-09-08, 09:34 AM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: Right then...what order should I get these things done.....

Did you not check the chokes when you had the carbs off?

They are renowned for sticking. The junction box, where one cables becomes two get water in and also where the plungers go into the carb bodies can become gummed up. Buy new little O rings and clean up the bore.

No use doing anything else until you've sorted them IMO. Cheap to do, just fiddly.
Old 17-09-08, 09:41 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

First off adjust the clutch, this will almost certainly sort your gear change problem out at the same time.

Next, have the carbs back out if need be and sort out the throttle and choke cables. Check the routing on them is correct, and lube them if this hasn't been done.

At this point install a bit of blanked off rubber tubing on the front vacuum take-off as otherwise you'll have to get them off again to balance them. This makes it easy to get at this vacuum point whenever you want to. I used some 6mm (IIRC) fuel hose and a bolt with a jubilee clip to blank it off and make it air-tight.

Only when all the controls seem to be working correctly, re-install the carbs.

When the carbs are back in balance them, it's only one screw and if you've got gauges it'll take you 10 minutes.

Put the air box back on and check it's running OK, and there is no popping and banging indicating an air leak.

The dyno run is a nicety to get the fuelling spot on. Bottom of the list.

Jambo
Old 17-09-08, 09:52 AM   #4
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Did you not check the chokes when you had the carbs off?

They are renowned for sticking. The junction box, where one cables becomes two get water in and also where the plungers go into the carb bodies can become gummed up. Buy new little O rings and clean up the bore.

No use doing anything else until you've sorted them IMO. Cheap to do, just fiddly.
nope.... i wouldnt know what i was looking for...lack of confidence (first thing EVER done to a bike) and lack of skill/knowledge. all i done was litterally change the main jets...and just undone things that were stopping me getting to the float bowls as i went along untill they were loose enough to twist up and round

getting to the carbs im fine with...but the thought of putting all back together again fills me with fear!!!! maybe in a few months (mrs said she feels like the mistress to my bike with all the reading up i was doing just to change th jets lol) so whatever i get done next will be by a garage
Old 17-09-08, 09:59 AM   #5
petevtwin650

Well in my humble opinion doing the chokes is easier than doing the jets.

But we all got to start somewhere.
Old 17-09-08, 10:07 AM   #6
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
First off adjust the clutch, this will almost certainly sort your gear change problem out at the same time.

Next, have the carbs back out if need be and sort out the throttle and choke cables. Check the routing on them is correct, and lube them if this hasn't been done.

At this point install a bit of blanked off rubber tubing on the front vacuum take-off as otherwise you'll have to get them off again to balance them. This makes it easy to get at this vacuum point whenever you want to. I used some 6mm (IIRC) fuel hose and a bolt with a jubilee clip to blank it off and make it air-tight.

Only when all the controls seem to be working correctly, re-install the carbs.

When the carbs are back in balance them, it's only one screw and if you've got gauges it'll take you 10 minutes.

Put the air box back on and check it's running OK, and there is no popping and banging indicating an air leak.

The dyno run is a nicety to get the fuelling spot on. Bottom of the list.

Jambo
good advice thanks jambo....right the dyno can wait....i dont know if i should do this myself or not...hhmmmm....

i could only adjust the throttle cables with the carbs in situ as i took them both out together as in one lump still attached to those long gold bracket things...please excuse my ignorance...but would it be easier to (can you?) just remove the individual carb and not the whole bracket??...as if i could this would make it a lot easier to work on!!!
Old 17-09-08, 10:08 AM   #7
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Well in my humble opinion doing the chokes is easier than doing the jets.

But we all got to start somewhere.
right then im off again..mrs is gonna go mad hahaha....a week of reading how to do the chokes coming up!!!
Old 17-09-08, 10:10 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Chokes is fairly straightforward compared to jets.

Re the choke... check you've got the cable in the right place.
Old 17-09-08, 10:15 AM   #9
petevtwin650

The biggest problem you are likely to encounter is the OEM screws holding the choke plate in place on the carbs are rubbish. Use a very good screwdriver and replace with little stainless allen bolts.
Old 17-09-08, 10:24 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Not too bad if you know where to hit them

My bet is on one of the cables not being sat in it's place correctly so it's holding slightly open.