SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-05, 12:59 PM   #1
clanger

Default Dont order from....

Hein Gericke catalogue...its poo, they change their prices to suit themselves, they also have a standard p&p charge for anything you order (and fail to tell you these prices) I saw some long socks and thought they'd be perfect. £11.99 in the catalogue (all padded etc) they arrive..in a huge box which the postie couldnt post. So I had to get to the sorting office to pick up (only open between 6am - 1pm Mon- Fri) which proved REALLY hard. I opened the socks tried them on, yep nice and long - tried on with boots - padding (yeah right...what extra cushioning and padding?) Took off socks thought, **** they arent exactly what I expected - catalogue beefs them up somewhat....looked at invoice and spot £13.99 price tag!!!!! AND £3.50 p&p!!!!!

Rang up customer services get pushed from pillar to post - someone finally talks to me and says that their prices are subject to change and standard p&p as written in tiny print in catalogue.

I have sent socks back recorded delivery for a sum total of £1.12 with covering note asking for refund and why. Still awaiting a response.

I like Hein Gericke goods in the shop, but will never ever buy from their catalogue again......pray be warned you lot!
Old 15-03-05, 01:03 PM   #2
jonboy

I really think that's an over-reaction. £3.50 p&p is not unreasonable and pretty much standard. They came in a big box, so what?

Personally I've found HG to be a very good company and I'm happy to continue to give them my business.

Old 15-03-05, 01:05 PM   #3
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Personally I've found HG to be a very good company and I'm happy to continue to give them my business..
I don't think he's suggesting we stop buying from HG, just that maybe the dept that deals with mail order is not as nice as the shops.
Old 15-03-05, 01:13 PM   #4
jonboy

Yeah maybe, but if you buy anything from mail order it's always the same sort of scenario and I don't think HG is any different, better or worse in this respect.

Old 15-03-05, 01:13 PM   #5
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimons
"she"
Old 15-03-05, 01:19 PM   #6
Professor

I think £3.50 p&p is somewhat steep. I recently posted Sythree 2
sets of novelty ears and tails and the postage cost was only 47
pence. No way posting socks should cost more.

At the same time, there are places that charge far more than
£3.50. Say, I was recently looking for a Vee Wipe which costs £5
and which is (for those who don't know) a tiny item that easily
fits into a normal envelope. I couldn't find a place with sensible
delivery charges. One internet shop wanted £5 p&p, but at closer
examination it turned out that this particular outlet is no longer
in business. Another internet shop wanted £10 p&p. In the end I
had to order the Vee Wipe though my local Yamaha dealer (no charge
for this).
Old 15-03-05, 01:20 PM   #7
shutdown

only the same as ordering something off ebay!

pay an amount for the item, a stupid amount for postage and when it comes it's never quite what it was hyped to be
Old 15-03-05, 01:24 PM   #8
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I recently posted Sythree 2 sets of novelty ears.............

At least he'll be easy to spot on the rideout
Old 15-03-05, 01:26 PM   #9
jonboy

Do remember that the commercial breakdown of p&p isn't just the cost of the stamps. There's the packing materials and someone to actually wrap it correctly, someone to physically take it to the sorting office (probably) etc.

Also it's commercially impractical to have a different postage rate for every different item.

Mail order saves you (in theory at least) the bother of physically going to the shop and therefore paying for P&P is the cost of doing do.

It really isn't that unreasonable.

Old 15-03-05, 01:33 PM   #10
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Do remember that the commercial breakdown of p&p isn't just the cost of the stamps. There's the packing materials and someone to actually wrap it correctly, someone to physically take it to the sorting office (probably) etc.
I wonder what is the correct way of putting a pair of socks in an envelope?
Memo to self: consult with Missus. Maybe I have been handling socks
incorrectly throughout my life.