SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Suits Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 05-06-10, 03:57 PM   #1
ilovemybike

Default Textiles vs Leathers!

Just thought I would pose a question for all you folk, I am pretty new to riding and have only ever used my RST textile suit, which i think is fantastic but very sweaty in the summer, as I like to wear the trousers in the summer too for the protection. But lately I have been considering buying a set of leathers, dont know whether to get a one piece or two piece, I am 6ft 2 and slim build, so not to sure what to get.

Just would be good to get peoples opinions of what ther prefer, leathers or textiles?
Old 05-06-10, 04:05 PM   #2
nik_nunez

Default Re: Textiles vs Leathers!

textiles for commuting, leathers for fun riding. I dont think i would ride to fast just in textiles. leathers are warm aswell but cooler than textiles. Would go for a two piece over a 1 every time just make sure they fully zip together incase you ever want to do any track days.
Old 05-06-10, 04:10 PM   #3
ilovemybike

Thats a good point, ok then to add to my original post, anyone recommend a good two piece! Or a good supplier, I am on a budget!
Old 05-06-10, 04:28 PM   #4
aarond

get to hein geiricke and have a look aroud mate
Old 05-06-10, 06:10 PM   #5
tanis34

and always try them on if u can as the sizes can change a lot according to make also make sure your boots fit with your leathers
Old 09-06-10, 08:09 PM   #6
leebex

Really want to like leathers, but as so used to textiles I couldnt get on with them. borrowed a set and went for a blast, town, twisties and fast dual and hated them so much, was so uncomfortable, did look good though, well I thought so
Old 09-06-10, 08:12 PM   #7
cb1000rsteve

i prefer my Hood jeans with armour and a Leather Jacket. The jeans r brilliant on and off the bike especially on hot days. Plus the jeans look mint when on a naked bike. :^)
Old 09-06-10, 08:19 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I have both, my textiles were dirt cheap a good few years ago are waterproof and comfy. Used them for commuting.
I also have leathers which I try to wear as much as possible as I believe in them more than textile (protection wise).
Buy for your need; if you commute all year then I'd say textile if you're just for fun (not necessarily dry) then leathers.

RST and technic (or is it teknic?) leathers seem to be cheap. Both anywhere up to £300 I think, off the peg. If you're spending more than that then made to measure would definitely be worth considering.
Old 09-06-10, 08:20 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Infact if you're from essex I'm sure I've heard hideout leather do well priced made to measure.
Bought from them over the phone (just some gloves) and they seemed good.
Old 09-06-10, 08:47 PM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

Leathers aren't waterproof and so generally no good for commuting. A decent set of textiles has removable insulation and vents and sometimes a removable windproof/waterproof (goretex etc) layer, so they can also be cooler than leathers when it's warm.

Drawback is less protection - leather has better abrasion resistance, and also greater friction - so you don't tend to slide as far. Some tracks won't let you ride in textile kit.

It's textiles all the way for me.