SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-05-05, 11:20 PM   #1
jeremysilver75

Default Noob Questions

First of all Hello every1. I've got a couple of Q's that I wouldnt mind knowing the answers to... I've recently brough an SV650 (52 plate) and unfortunately its been dropped previously and has some scratches on the frame, is this easy to repair (Can it be sprayed or polished). Secondly my battery is dead on it as I havent driven it for a month and the bike didnt come with the manual grrrrrrrr so I cant work out how to get to the battery..... last q. Does any1 know of any good ways to lube the chain without buying a stand as it seems a bit expensive to do the job now and again.... Chees in advance. Jez.
Old 30-05-05, 09:46 AM   #2
PBx

Default Re: Noob Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysilver75
I cant work out how to get to the battery
- Undo the side panels beneath the riders seat.
- Undo the 2 allen bolts holding the riders seat on.
- Move the plastic tray you will find under the seat and the battery is there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysilver75
Does any1 know of any good ways to lube the chain without buying a stand
- get a scottoiler

I would get a paddock stand anyway it makes so many things easier to do.
Old 30-05-05, 09:51 AM   #3
Warren

all depends on what frame you have,

i dont have an SV so an unable to give a proper answer with that one.
, but i dont see why you cant polish the scratches out, try autosol - its brilliant.

battery is probably kept under the riders seat or behind a left or right fairing panel, but seeing as you probably dont have one of those - id go with it being under the riders seat.

you could always try bump starting it, put it in second gear, hold the clutch in and push it forward, when you got it going pretty fast, jump on the bike and slowly release the clutch to fire up the engine,

its easier if you get someone to push it for you while your sitting on the bike - then all you gotta do is keep your revs up for a bit and take it for a spin.

lubing - most will say - get a scottoiler or a rear wheel paddock stand, as you will use it quite a bit, but you could always put it on its side stand, lube the chain, push it forward and lube the rest, keep going til the jobs done.

sorry i cant help more - but i dont have an SV,
Old 30-05-05, 03:00 PM   #4
SPeeeeDY

I have never used a scottoiler so i cannot comment on them.

But i just buy a decent can of chain lube and put the bike on the paddock stand (stands can be bought for as little as £30 maby even less if you shop around a little, Try E-bay).

You will probably need to oil the chain more regualary than you think!

SPeeeeDY
Old 30-05-05, 03:30 PM   #5
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeeeeDY
I have never used a scottoiler so i cannot comment on them.
I have and they are brilliant things IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeeeeDY
You will probably need to oil the chain more regualary than you think!
All you have to do with a Scotoiler is fill 'em up every 1000 miles or so. Your chain/sprockets will last longer and the chain won't need adjusting as often, too.
Old 30-05-05, 06:26 PM   #6
weegaz22

and if you do want to spend full whack on a scottoiler then there is a cheaper alternative called a loobman, think it costs 16 about quid, give the little bottle a squeeze before you set off and it oils your chain while riding
Old 30-05-05, 06:34 PM   #7
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegaz22
and if you do want to spend full whack on a scottoiler then there is a cheaper alternative called a loobman, think it costs 16 about quid, give the little bottle a squeeze before you set off and it oils your chain while riding
in theory.
Old 30-05-05, 08:03 PM   #8
weegaz22

ive heard a from a few ppl on this site that have used them have been more than happy with it for what it is
Old 30-05-05, 08:17 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

As for the frame, you could spray or powdercoat it but both fixes would mean a total strip down... Not easy, and no offence but I'm thinking that'd be a bit above your level How bad are the scratches?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-05, 12:49 PM   #10
echomadman

I can get my rear wheel a cm off the ground when its on the sidestand by putting an axlestand under the rear brakelever pivot, it feels perfectly stable for oiling the chain.
I need to get a paddock stand though, or an ABBA stand to do more complicated work.