SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-12-06, 08:43 PM   #1
jimmybluedevil

Default linkage/shifter help

Hey folks Im experiencing a slight problem. Today I rode to work as usual with nothing out of the ordinary. I left for lunch and when I arrived at the restaurant I couldnt get it out of gear! Didnt want to shift up at all. Finally got it in neutral but it was sticking a lot. I found that the nuts on the linkage were a bit loose but tightening them made it worse. As soon as I got it on the street it was fine while riding but had trouble again when I parked.

Oh I adjusted and lubed the chain 2 days ago

Any ideas?
Old 07-12-06, 09:16 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Searching brings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid Previously
The problem is most probably the lever pivot being a bit sticky. The change mechanism isn't able to reset itself between gears, if you lift the lever with your foot between changes it should work fine.

To fix it properly:

Remove the lever from the footrest and remove the fibre bush from inside the lever *very carefully* - the bush isn't available seperately and it's easy to damage - if you look close you can see where the bush is split, gently get behind it and roll it up a little you'll be able to pull it out, if you look inside the lever you'll see where corrosion has built up behind the bush, expanded, and squeezed the lever onto the footrest pivot, causing oit to drag, if you gently scrape away the corrosion smear the area with a little grease so it doesn't corrode so easily and reassemble it should be fine.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 02:35 PM   #3
jimmybluedevil

Thanks a million Ill try that today
Old 08-12-06, 04:10 PM   #4
jimmybluedevil

figured it out- my clutch is starting to go
Old 08-12-06, 04:26 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybluedevil
and how have to come to that deduction?

Try adjusting/replacing the cable, clean and greese the lever pivot on the handlebar, before making that decision. Also check clean and grease the worm drive on the clutch as well.

HTH
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 08:48 PM   #6
jimmybluedevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybluedevil
and how have to come to that deduction?

Try adjusting/replacing the cable, clean and greese the lever pivot on the handlebar, before making that decision. Also check clean and grease the worm drive on the clutch as well.

HTH

Yeah it was the cable. I tightened it but found it was frayed by the lever so I took it in to my shop and had them replace it. Thanks for the help. Phew