SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-09-07, 07:06 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Parking Ticket Appeal. What do you think?

Got a letter in the post from Lambeth council with a nice £120 fine reduced to £60 if paid quickly. The letter included a picture of me standing next to my bike apparently in a restricted parking area.

On this occasion I had pulled to the side of the road to put on a pair of sunglasses and a high-visibility jacket as there was a strong, low sun, I couldn't see and I assumed others would not be able to see me.

They provided 3 photos, all showing me next to the bike, 2 with no hi-viz and 1 with.

I've challenged it on the grounds I had to pull over for safety reasons, never left the bike and if they look at the CCTV footage they have they will see me just putting on glasses and a hi-viz then pulling off again.

Question is :-
Offence is stated as "02 Parked or loading/unloading in a restricted street where waiting and loading/unloading restrictions are in force"

But given I never left my vehicle could I be considered as parked?

Anyone ever challenged a ticket in Lambeth on these grounds and got away with it?

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-07, 07:13 PM   #2
Stig

Default Re: Parking Ticket Appeal. What do you think?

I have no idea, but if they go ahead with the fine and don't let you off, that would prove that it was nothing more than a money grabbing chance. It must have been bloody obvious to the camera operator what you were doing.

A hole springs to mind. Good luck with it.
Old 15-09-07, 07:10 AM   #3
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Appeal has been sent. Lets see how it goes.
Old 15-09-07, 07:18 AM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

One for the papers if you fail.
Or even if you suceed.
Was it issued by an attendant or by a remote CCTV camera?
Old 15-09-07, 07:52 AM   #5
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Was remote CCTV. Interestingly they say they have more footage if required which I see as a good thing as it can only support my statement.

Getting jacket from top-box... ( I know some may think that simply having a top box makes be guilty, but thats an altogether different thread-)

Putting it on

On, safe and ready to go.
Old 15-09-07, 08:02 AM   #6
FG1

I've replied in your oither post but, just so you know anyway:

Contest it anyway. From what I remember, if you contest it straight away and lose then you still only pay the lesser amount.

You could always argue that current legislation prohibits the use of a dark visor so for you to be able to see safely in bright sunlight you have no option other than to stop and put sunglasses on. For them to insist that you should have rode on not being able to see safely would be a failure for them to carry out a duty of care.
Old 15-09-07, 08:24 AM   #7
Kinvig

that'as a big bunch of tw@ for even trying to fine you for that!
Old 15-09-07, 08:59 AM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

Spiderman is our local web-slinging hero, and resident parking ticket guru. He has contested (and won) more cases than anyone else I know. I'm sure he'll be along soon, but if not, drop the nice man a PM

That said I'm certain you need to be stationary for 5 minutes for there to be a ticket issued by a parking warden, I fail to see why this isn't the case with CCTV!

Best of luck,

Jambo
Old 15-09-07, 09:13 AM   #9
Cloggsy

Hope you win... A55'ole jobsworths
Old 15-09-07, 09:30 AM   #10
John 675

seriously good luck with this Mark,
I had a Yamaha DT125 on a 54 plate, i got a letter from london ( ive only ever been once ) council saying i was in a bus lane? but the picture they sent me was a MO-PED with the same Plate?
anyway i was threatend legal action after contesting it, but when this contravention allegedly happend i had part ex'd the DT for my SV so it was sat in a show room in stoke.... and i live in nottingham
and my SV was in my garage waiting to be ridden after i passed my DAS
anyway to cut a long story short... after almost assaulting a balif that was after my SV for paymant..
and after loads of letters and hardlined proof that it wasnt me and that the numberplate should not be on a moped anyway they simply just stopped sending letters... no sorry no nothing.. took about a year to clear.
they really wanted my cash. i told the general manager of hackney borough council to ***K off before i press for harrasment charges.. end of
so i know how your feeling mark just dont EVER give in..

LyleJ