SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-10, 06:48 PM   #1
BBadger

Default Heavy clutch

evening all.

im in the process of getting all the bits together to give the sv a small overhaul and clean up in the next few weeks and was wondering if theres anything to help my clutch woes.

The lever is much heavier than every other sv ive sat on which is whats got me going.

Chain and worm drive are adjusted correctly so no trouble with changing gear its just bloody heavy.

Going to oil the line, and regrease the worm drive to see if that helps but any ideas ?? im stumped

Thanks
Brock.
Old 14-06-10, 06:50 PM   #2
BBadger

Default Re: Heavy clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
You don't have hot grips do you ?
I do indeed ........why?
Old 14-06-10, 06:53 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I think you'd know if it was this within a few seconds but double check the rubber isn't obstructing lever movement.

Had mine slip and obstruct on the way to isle of man, clutch felt heavy as **** was worried until I stopped at the services and saw the issue.

Like you intend: clean and re grease the worm , oil the cable, grease the lever (and other) pivot points and re tension and see how it goes? I can't think of much else, unless it's proper screwed.

Last edited by Dave20046; 14-06-10 at 06:55 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-10, 07:11 PM   #4
BBadger

Hmmm good call on the obstructing as all my heated grip cables and light plugs meet in the same place so could be binding .....
Old 14-06-10, 07:17 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
Hmmm good call on the obstructing as all my heated grip cables and light plugs meet in the same place so could be binding .....
It should be reasonably easy to tell at a glance if the actual grip if obstructing/fouling the lever.
Checking the cable routing would be a good idea thinking about it.
Old 14-06-10, 07:20 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Has it always been like that or suddenly developed it's "heaviness". Could a previous owner have fitted heavy duty clutch springs?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-10, 07:25 PM   #7
BBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Has it always been like that or suddenly developed it's "heaviness". Could a previous owner have fitted heavy duty clutch springs?

Routing was my 1st idea
Erm i cant remember really as i got it with 5k and added over 13 to that...so doubt it would have anything changed as it was never mentioned when i bought it.
but it has defiantly got heavier. (not ridiculously heavy but it does take abit of force )
Old 14-06-10, 08:24 PM   #8
no_akira

I had exactly the same issue with my sv650 when I got it last year.

The slack on the cable was over tightened, there was no slack....

You need to take the sprocket cover off and adjust the 2 end of cable nuts so that the cable has a little bit of slack in it.

You want just a touch of slack so that as you pull the clutch lever is easy then getting progressively harder about halfway through the action, this is the most efficient use of a lever.

Whats possibly happening is your lever is going straight onto the bite part at the top where your fingers are stretched and unable to apply as much pressure.

Worked for me....
Old 14-06-10, 08:33 PM   #9
BBadger

Again a good possibility but i have enough slack in the cable as my biting point is about half way through the levers full range.
But another to fiddle with to see if it helps.
Old 14-06-10, 08:54 PM   #10
no_akira

I notice on your bike description that you've got flat bars (custom handle bars I assume ) could this be causing the input angle at the lever to be different and therefore a point of rubbing.

Another point, I had this little issue only the other weekend (during a sprocket & chain replacement), make sure the cable slot on the clutch lever tension adjustment screw (ali bit with a locking ali wheel) backend of the lever is always uppermost, sky facing. As the clutch cable could be getting snagged in this slot.

This is important as it could lead to a reduction in the cables lifespan, worst case a snapped cable.