SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 23-07-10, 10:59 AM   #11
-Ralph-

Default Re: wooohooo - something good to come of the government cuts...

It depends if the cops are going to indiscrimately stand at the side of the road and write down the registration plates of every car speeding over a particular limit, in which case they are doing a very dumb job and are no different to a camera van operated by a Scamera partnership.

I'm all in favour of the police speed trapping, ONLY IF, they are going to point the hairdryer at people, then get in the car an follow with blues and twos, do a ANPR check, talk to the driver, and issue a warning or a ticket depending on how excessive the speed, check the tyres, breathalyse if they suspect any drinking, search if they suspect any drugs, check for proper fitment of child seats, issue a rectification notice for that faulty headlight, etc, etc, etc

Enforce the law, instead of just enforcing speed, and they will gain the respect required to not have people on this thread suggesting flicking them the finger.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 23-07-10 at 11:03 AM.
Old 25-07-10, 02:39 PM   #12
walkaboutandy

Default Re: wooohooo - something good to come of the government cuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijanric View Post
In the last two or three months I've seen six mobile cameras, either in the form of a police van with a camera poking through the back window or a sneaky copper peeking out from behind a tree. Four of these times I was alerted by courteous oncoming cars (one of which was a nice man in a Range Rover who flashed to warn me as I was overtaking at a hundred heading towards one). I, in turn, made sure I alerted as many people as I could by signalling them to slow down as they approached, drawing circles in the air with my left hand to imitate the revolving blue lights. People are always thankful of this. If I had the time or tools, I'd love to have pulled over and made a sign to warn people!
The signal i've seen used to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap is a flash of the headlights and a thumbs down.