SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 21-04-11, 08:37 PM   #1
Speedy Claire

Thumbs down Why Are SV Batteries So Awkward To Access!!

Was quite puzzled this morning when my bike battery was flat despite me using the bike recently. I was looking forward to a good run out so my friend said let`s go anyway, a good run should charge it and if we get stuck I have motorbike jump leads

Had a fantastic run out to Wales and nope the battery didn`t charge up so every time we stopped which was 2 petrol stops and lots of drinks we had to jump start the bike with leads. WHAT A PAIN!!! why isn`t the battery easier to access? Every time it was allen key out, undo the seat, get the seat off, tighten it up again!! My friend was so patient bless him but we did get quite good at it in the end and had it down to a fine art. Even the motorcycle cop was quite impressed at our speed and prowess in the petrol station

It didn`t spoil a fantastic day out... I`m smitten with my bike all over again, lots of miles today and was great fun. Big thanks to Mototech for picking me up a new battery whilst I was playing out, I`m lucky to have such good mates
Old 21-04-11, 08:39 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Why Are SV Batteries So Awkward To Access!!

So's you can pay mega bucks to a garage to get to it.

Beats me, although if the battery is in tip top order then shouldn't need inspecting too often

Sounds like yours is not in the best of health
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-11, 08:42 PM   #3
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
So's you can pay mega bucks to a garage to get to it.

Beats me, although if the battery is in tip top order then shouldn't need inspecting too often

Sounds like yours is not in the best of health
Am afraid it wasn`t... my fault entirely as I left it to drain flat in the bike over the winter. I`ve used the bike quite a few times recently tho but I was charging the battery up as soon as I got home to keep it topped up.

It was the original battery tho in an 04 bike so I`ve had good use out of it
Old 23-04-11, 06:56 AM   #4
Beardie4

Maybe a message for me, as my battery is still original in my 04, although I do tend to run it through Optimate over winter just to keep it awake...
Old 23-04-11, 07:02 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Compared to my Z750, the SV is no effort at all.

Off with the side panels, undo the seat retaining screws, lift off seat is WAY more easier then.

Unlock and remove the seat (ok the Zed wins at this point), but then you have to remove the panel the seat locks into, which is a nightmare to put back on, then the battery is wedged in really tightly.

What you could do is get a couple of bits from the Optimate kit, specifically the bit that you attach to your battery (and leave on) which then terminates in a plug. You could then get a lead that plugs into that and has battery clamps on it (like a jump lead) You could feed the blug so that it sits under the rear seat, and keep the jumplead end (unconnected except when in use) under there too.

I have that kind of setup on my Z750.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-11, 04:16 PM   #6
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
What you could do is get a couple of bits from the Optimate kit, specifically the bit that you attach to your battery (and leave on) which then terminates in a plug. You could then get a lead that plugs into that and has battery clamps on it (like a jump lead) You could feed the blug so that it sits under the rear seat, and keep the jumplead end (unconnected except when in use) under there too.
Geez it sounds like you`d have a harder job than me!!!

I have got the bit that attaches to my battery... it`s permanently fitted and tucks behind my side panel and I also have an additional small lead that goes from that and has battery clamps on it. I was told tho that if I tried to use that to jump start the battery it would probably melt the wires???
Old 23-04-11, 04:17 PM   #7
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardie4 View Post
Maybe a message for me, as my battery is still original in my 04, although I do tend to run it through Optimate over winter just to keep it awake...
Your battery sounds like it`s looked after whereas mine wasn`t (slap on hand!) so you might be ok and get even longer out of it.
Old 23-04-11, 04:41 PM   #8
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Well I've just today put a new one in my 05. The last two winters I've let it just stand outside with no care whatsoever, so it really did need it. Started first time with that in.

But I did find putting the new battery in quite easy really, and this is from a mechanical numpty whose engine based skills are stretched when having to put air in tyres!
Old 23-04-11, 04:50 PM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post
Geez it sounds like you`d have a harder job than me!!!

I have got the bit that attaches to my battery... it`s permanently fitted and tucks behind my side panel and I also have an additional small lead that goes from that and has battery clamps on it. I was told tho that if I tried to use that to jump start the battery it would probably melt the wires???
As I have the seat off the Zed at the moment (my battery wasnt dead, just needed optimating) I'll take a pic - there is just NO room at all under the seat - had to get creative to fit the scottoiler and remove the toolkit to put my Inforad on.

The connectors that the Optimate uses are standard, could always get one made up with heavier wires - in fact Halfords do the oversized croc clips to attach to the donor batteries terminals.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-11, 07:17 PM   #10
Speedy Claire

I`m intending on looking after this battery and removing it from the bike every Winter. Hopefully I won`t have any problems but many thanks SK for all the tips