SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-22, 05:40 PM   #1
GDBD59

Default 5' 3" & lowering dogbones

My female partner is 5'3" & has just bought a Curvy & will want it lowered. She has the thick-soled Daytona boots.
We won't get the bike for a couple of weeks, so I wondered if we could get a skiffy as to the amount she'll need. Most dogbones are 25 or 40mm, with some inbetween.

Anyone similar height with opinion?
GDBD59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-22, 07:03 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: 5' 3" & lowering dogbones

Welcome.

A quick search gave this link - although it is for a pointy it has some useful info:
https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=96469

It's hard to predict what you need since a lot will depend on the comfort level of your partner and how long her legs are (we don't need measurements )

Looking at other threads some have found that getting the seat shaved is enough. There used to be adjustable length dog bones available which, if still available, might be an option.
You will have to alter the fork's position in the clamps to if you change the dog bone length - I seem to recall that 10mm is the limit without handling going weird.

Finally, if you drop the ride height you may need to have the sidestand modified (shortened).
Old 26-03-22, 10:00 AM   #3
GDBD59

Thanks for reply Seeker, will need to consider the seat.
Old 26-03-22, 10:55 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

i think i' qualified to give advice on this subject being that im 5ft 3.

get the dogbones that have the most drop. this is due to the fact that dogbone sizes are not drop at seat height and they are more at tail of bike.

if your GF is skinny then i advise you to change the spring or shock on the back as the curvy has a high rate spring not suitable for light riders. of course this is optional. dont wind the shock preload down to compensate for height.

scoop the seat is a must..

when you instal the dogboanes drop the front end 15mm as well or the handling goes very very weird and is not nice. this also has the added bonus of dropping the seat height as well.

also when you lower the bike you need to get the sidestand altered. get one off ebay and get someone to cut weld it up or the bike will fall over on cabers etc.etc.

i can almost flat foot on my mk2 SV
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-22, 11:06 AM   #5
GDBD59

Thanks Bibio..... she's not skinny (thankfully) but re the shock......I had one almost 20 years ago....stiff-ish spring but underdamped, yes?
Have you seen any threads recommending a better, shorter shock? I had a GSXR on mine back in the day, & possibly higher rideheight.
Old 26-03-22, 11:56 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes the standard shock is under damped with a stiff spring (also getting worn out by now) but lets be honest. is your GF going to be pushing the bike hard round corners and stuff or going on track days?

its all about rider capability. no point putting stuff on there is the rider is not capable of using the difference.

the SV is a cheap good bike that can be made better but sometimes its not worth it and better to just get a SS600 etc.etc with the goodies already on it. IL4 are also usually easier due to being smoother to ride and you can get comfort kits for them.

there are all sorts of shocks that can be made to work but in reality its better just to go and buy something like a Nitron, Hagon, Ohlins, YSS etc.etc built to your spec. yes it may cost a bit but if you sell the bike you can sell the shock separate and recoup some of the cash back. Nitron hold their value.

lower it, get some miles under her belt then upgrade.
Old 26-03-22, 12:20 PM   #7
GDBD59

She's an experienced rider, - did some racing in her young years, but never learned about suspension. Buying a good quality aftermarket shock is not an option at this time, hence my post above. How much lower can the o/e seat be made?
Old 26-03-22, 01:45 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would forget about changing the shock then. seat i would guess around 20-25mm.

the dogbones and fork drop are going to see her on the balls of her feet and a n added seat scoop with the daytona boots will see her pretty much flat footed.

how many miles do you intend to ride in one go?
Old 26-03-22, 01:48 PM   #9
GDBD59

Return journeys, 100 maybe. Not initially though.