SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-05-13, 07:49 AM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default SV1000 range after yellow light

I've got a K3 SV1000 with various induction and exhaust mods. I usually get 112 miles from full to yellow light with "spirited" riding. I've always assumed I've got a bit in reserve but look for fuel ASAP.

Sunday I left Reading with my yellow light on. 16 miles to home so thought I'll be fine. Fill up when I get home.

Riding around the Reading ring road the bike died on me a couple of times. Managed to restart and rode it into a petrol station well actually coasted into a petrol station as it had died completely by then.

I doubt I did more than 10 miles with the Lamp on.

Anyone got any experience of how far you've got on a fuel warning on a K3SV1000? I'm not sure if my sender is a bit off or perhaps I've just always ben very lucky not to run out.

For those unaware, the K3 has a 1 stage LED. LED off, LED on, Push bike to petrol station. I discovered this when I first got the bike and wondered how many miles it was between on and flashing.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 08:30 AM   #2
pookie

Default Re: SV1000 range after yellow light

I've managed an extra 25 - 30 miles on a commute home leaving the city and then along big a roads. I reckon there was more mileage in the tank. My light would come on 110 -118 ish. I dont brim the tank more like chuck the nozzle in and twist a little and stop filling up when it splutters.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 09:09 AM   #3
Cymraeg_Atodeg

The reserve light is supposed to be 3ltrs of fuel, so, I should be about 30 miles from my Thou', but, have always filled up after 20-odd

As far as I am aware all SV1000's have a on/off fuel light, there is no blinking.
Old 21-05-13, 09:40 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

like the main tank volume; the right hand can have a major effect on the mileage you get from reserve, however unlike the main bit the reserve also accumulates water and debris that can reduce this, it maybe worth flushing the tank and seeing what comes out the bottom.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 09:46 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

There is no physical reserve... it still sucks from the bottom of the tank all the time. Doubt there can be much in there that could reduce volume without plugging the filter unless you have achild been dropping marbles in there or something.
Old 21-05-13, 10:37 AM   #6
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
There is no physical reserve... it still sucks from the bottom of the tank all the time.
So the old trick of lying the bike down on it's side after you run out doesn't work any more?
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 01:29 PM   #7
SuzukiNess

I've been caught out 3 times with fuel light on to empty haven't yet figured out how many miles left after the light comes on because it ranged from 20 to 10.... so its find the nearest fuel stop pdq
Old 21-05-13, 02:43 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
So the old trick of lying the bike down on it's side after you run out doesn't work any more?
Yeah it might as it still might slurp a bit extra but remember on these efi's you need fuel in the pump... there is no float bowl that it can run into... the fuel pump needs to be fully primed to give pressure to the rest of it.

so it can work a bit, but not like on a carby.