SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Do you use a torsion wrench on your bike?
Yes 8 66.67%
No 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-01-08, 09:12 AM   #1
Kinvig

Default Tension Wrenches

Do you use them?

On my course last night the instructor had us altering the tension of our chains with spanners & normal wrenches. We didn't have any torsion wrenches.

My manual say's to use a torsion wrench upto 100 nms.

I just muttered words to the effect that my chain didn't need tightening.

Am I being over protective?
Old 24-01-08, 09:23 AM   #2
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tension Wrenches

Do you mean torque wrench?

If so, the answer's no, never have. I've never stripped a thread or had a wheel fall out either - the magic of the split pin.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-08, 09:54 AM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

i use a torque wrench, but mainly for my own peace of mind because i don't know how much 50nm feels like. according to a mechanic friend of mine most bolts are fine to torque to whatever you like, but some shouldn't be over-torqued, however he has snapped bolts before they even got to the specified torque setting

so in conclusion, i haven't the foggiest, but i know the manual says to use a torque wrench and i think there's something satisfying about owning one
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-08, 10:04 AM   #4
plowsie

Dirk go into more with me on this mate...Wanna hear how and what they taught ya, might give me the confidence to do it meself then
Old 24-01-08, 10:22 AM   #5
Pedro68

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
i think there's something satisfying about owning one
I own a torque wrench but have never used it yet
I don't use it to do chain tension cos manual says 100Nm torque on rear wheel nut, but my torque wrench only goes up to 60 or 80Nm (can't remember which now). So I just use standard spanners/sockets and put my weight on the ratchet handle - seems to do the trick.
However, at some point in the not-too-distant future I shall be replacing all the stock "cheese" bolts on the bike for stainless (or something like that) and so will probably use the torque wrench then
Old 24-01-08, 10:28 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Always on internals, and anything critical is what I teach, if you haven't got years of experiance, then use it anyway, it's not going to hurt, you can do damage if it's to tight as well as to loose.

one word of warning though don't be a slave to it, al the settings in the book are for new bolts, so bear that in mind.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-08, 10:35 AM   #7
Pedro68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Always on internals, and anything critical is what I teach, if you haven't got years of experiance, then use it anyway, it's not going to hurt, you can do damage if it's to tight as well as to loose.

one word of warning though don't be a slave to it, al the settings in the book are for new bolts, so bear that in mind.

Cheers Mark.
Thanks Mark

Yeah I guess I remember reading somewhere that the torque setting in the manual are also for dry bolts (or something!?) ... and as I intend on using some copper grease (well it IS a copper pointy after all ) then I'll have to adjust the torque setting up/down (any offers?)

Cheers,
Pete
Old 24-01-08, 10:46 AM   #8
Captain Nemo

i use mine on parts that take load...or the bike cant move without, calipers wheels bars stuff like that, ancilliaries like levers controls bodywork and stuff just use common sense, summat like finger tight +1/4 or 1/2 turn with the spanner maybe, you can get a feel for how tight stuff is after awhile
Old 24-01-08, 10:54 AM   #9
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Dirk go into more with me on this mate...Wanna hear how and what they taught ya, might give me the confidence to do it meself then
Going o have a go in the comfort of my spacious driveway this weekend - will keep you informed!

It appears to be a case of slackening off the axle spindle nuts then tightening the tension adjusting nuts on each side of the swing arm. Tightening up the axle spindle nut, then tightening up the tension nuts a bit more & job done.
Old 24-01-08, 10:57 AM   #10
John Burt

Don't forget that on the SV the chain tensio wil increase (free play decrease) as you re-tighten the wheel spindle.