SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-08, 01:31 PM   #1
gavinsky23

Default Help with swingarm

I went to fit a hugger to my '99 curvy last night. One of the mounting points is under the clip for the rear brake hose on the swing arm. Unfortunately the bolt was seized and sheared off upon trying to remove it. It was eventually removed using an impact driver however, whatever the bolt went into has also gone. I'm now left with a hole of around 10m diameter in my swingarm. Does anyone know what the bolt goes into (is it a lug in the swingarm) and of any sort of quick fix I could do.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 13-02-08, 03:49 PM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: Help with swingarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsky23 View Post
Does anyone know what the bolt goes into (is it a lug in the swingarm) and of any sort of quick fix I could do.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
This is what should have been left after the bolt was taken out. It's some kind of internally threaded insert that has a shoulder on it to stop it falling inside the swingarm. It also "floats" in the hole so it's a loose fit. Looked on the parts fiche and it's not listed.

Old 13-02-08, 04:21 PM   #3
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help with swingarm

I used plenty of these over the years to fasten race fairings to. They are sometimes referred to as Rivtex fasteners or captive threaded rivets.

The tool to fit them is a little pricey at about ?60 from Demon Tweeks so better if you can find a sheet metal fabricator who might have one.

If you are lucky and good at gynecology you might be able to hold a nut or bolt up the end of the swing arm arm (is that a real object?) but could be pretty fiddly to do.

Just looked, its not as pricey as I thought but a little expensive if you only intend to do one

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=SEAAK396
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote