SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-10, 09:27 PM   #1
Stimpy

Talking Advice on buying a new SV1000s

Hi all,

First post here, i'm looking at getting an SV1000s '04 at the weekend and was wondering if you could give me some advice on what things to look out for that can be dodgy on an SV; common problems/faults/damage etc. I've got a Bandit at the moment so am used to poor suzuki build quality n all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And if I get it I hope to see you all on here more often.

Cheers,
Old 09-02-10, 10:50 PM   #2
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice on buying a new SV1000s

if you haven't already, I'd recommend a test ride... The engine feels ropey as feck below 3k revs but this is a characteristic of all litre twins apparently (honda vtr sp2's are meant to be astonishingly bad below 3k revs but what do you expect from a superbike)...

Mine has been bulletproof to be honest (but now that I've said that I'll put money it being a big pile of bits when i get home)... Have a look around the clutch side to see if any brake fluid has leaked (hydraulic clutch) mine did in summer but hasn't done it since - I think it might have been from heat in the garage making seals & bits expand slightly enough for it to seep.. Brakes are generally good stoppers but check for usualy stuff like pads releasing and consistent bite etc... All the other usual stuff as well actually, does the front suspension compress and rebound nicely without any lumps or knocking, if possible check the head bearings with front wheel off the ground (it's all in the biketrader buyers guide thing)..

Sure someone else will be along in a minute with some useful info

welcome along by the way

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 10:57 PM   #3
Ratty

Is it a K3 or a K4 ? You can tell by the shape or the side panels/ lower sub-frame / deeper riders seat, or if it's original paint, a K3 will have suzuki written on the tank. The K3's had more problems with dodgy knocking bearings, clutches and clutch slave cylinders. Other common problems are total elec failure due to a burnt out green elec connector under the airbox. You could look for early signs of trouble. Also check the rear exhaust gasket into the collector box which can fail regularly. These are all well documented at www.SV-portal.com

I've had to change the exhaust gasket on mine but it's been ace otherwise.

Hope this helps
Ratty
Old 09-02-10, 11:07 PM   #4
Stimpy

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Yes its a K3, its only done 10k and i've had loads of pics through and all looks well, but pics only say so much.

A stupid question but I cant find a Haynes manual for the 1000 only the 650? Is the 650 worth getting as their pretty much the same.

Cheers.
Old 09-02-10, 11:17 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Yes its a K3, its only done 10k and i've had loads of pics through and all looks well, but pics only say so much.

A stupid question but I cant find a Haynes manual for the 1000 only the 650? Is the 650 worth getting as their pretty much the same.

Cheers.
Don't think there is one for the 1000. The 650 is a much more common bike, hence there is a manual for these.

They look similar, but that's about it. 1000 has better suspension, better brakes, it's a bit heavier and some people say less flickable - basically, it handles different. It's more vibey at low rpms.
Old 09-02-10, 11:30 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
650 & 1000 share very little other than styling and a few incidental parts, a Haynes for the 650 won't be ideal. Suzuki's own manual is good however, (specific supplemental manual for the naked). As mentioned above some early ones had a problem with the clutch cylinder seals - I wouldn't worry too much about that as the chances of finding one of an early enough age that's made it this far without being attended to are slim. Some early bikes knocked a bit, same deal as above, it's not likely you'll find one that's made it this far un-noticed - unless it's knocking don't worry about it.
If it's in need of a service they can feel as rough as a very rough thing indeed, that said being as it's a big twin smoothness isn't it's defining trait - but I rather like it like that.
Fuel consumption can have you looking for a hole in the tank - twins are not efficient.
Engine paint falls off and leaves the outer casing with proper Swiss cheese looking pits in them.

PS. It's a fantastic motorcycle - you'll love it!
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 09-02-10 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Mis-spellings
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 12:23 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Haynes make a manual for the TL1000S which is close enough. Calipers are GSXR600 K1-3. Forks you can follow same service guideline as K1-K3 or SRAD, they are similar internals.

But that is if you can't find the factory manual
Old 10-02-10, 10:28 AM   #8
Stimpy

Ah cheers guys thats great. Will let you know what the bike was like after i've seen it! Cant wait am getting all excited like a kid at xmas!
Old 10-02-10, 10:30 AM   #9
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

even if you don't buy it mate, there's still plenty of non-sv owners on here - pop along to your local meet (south & west surfers is your local section I think?)

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:47 AM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Haynes make a manual for the TL1000S which is close enough.

Not really.
Thats like saying they don't do a Cagiva Raptor manual but the engines a TL1000S, go buy that.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 10-02-10 at 10:48 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote