SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-05, 02:03 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Motrax DHM?

Has anyone had the unfortunate opportunity to "test" a set of Motrax DHM on their bike through having a fall?

I'm loathe to pay for any R&G ones after they were too tight to offer any show discount at the NEC, so are these ones as good?

Otherwise, what's my other main alternatives to R&G bungs? Harris?
Old 09-11-05, 02:08 PM   #2
Carsick

The DHM ones have been tested and been found to be lacking. The R&G ones hold up much better but have also been found to be lacking by more than a few people. The ones with the most knowledgable recommendations seem to be moko or JHS. Both are only slightly cheaper than the R&G, though.
Old 09-11-05, 02:11 PM   #3
Jase22

Wasn't massively bothered about them being cheaper than R&G, just thought R&G were a tight set of gets when they wouldn't offer any show discount.
Old 09-11-05, 02:12 PM   #4
Stormspiel

Default Re: Motrax DHM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22
Has anyone had the unfortunate opportunity to "test" a set of Motrax DHM on their bike through having a fall?

I'm loathe to pay for any R&G ones after they were too tight to offer any show discount at the NEC, so are these ones as good?

Otherwise, what's my other main alternatives to R&G bungs? Harris?
I've had DHM's fitted since i got mine but have yet to test their integrity. The Left seems Pretty solid as it's braced at half length but the right looks to be slightly less useful.

By the way, Squires tonight if you fancy it Should get there around 7:00pm
Old 09-11-05, 02:26 PM   #5
Jase22

Can't make Squires unfortunately buddy although, I'm soooooo tempted given the weather's dried up!

What you said about the right side is a little un nerving, that seems the most prone to crashes!
Old 09-11-05, 02:54 PM   #6
JakeRS

i am also looking to buy some, the ones that go right through the engine bolt.

I had R and G's on my old bike which saved me a couple of times when i slid downt he road on my bum, but they are about double the price of DHM's.
Old 09-11-05, 04:02 PM   #7
Stormspiel

Quote:
Can't make Squires unfortunately buddy although, I'm soooooo tempted given the weather's dried up!
No worries mate, just giving you the option.

Quote:
What you said about the right side is a little un nerving, that seems the most prone to crashes!
The right is a bolt that goes into a 60mm ish link and another bolt attached that goes into engine. It's the link that worries me but my pipes now hid behind the pillion peg as it's high level. It'd still rip the panels to pieces if it failed at speed though.
Old 09-11-05, 04:53 PM   #8
Jase22

If you come off at speed you're likely to nack your bike anyway, so any protection the mushrooms offer is just a bonus in that situation!

Do we reckon the DHM will offer suitable protection say up to 30mph?
Old 09-11-05, 05:54 PM   #9
kwak zzr

got them but aint try'd them yet. dont expect to either. the way i see it is for £40 its better than having nowt there.
Old 09-11-05, 07:39 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

The right side DHM is as good protection as a promise to pull out... Absolute cack. You're spot on about the link in the middle, the thread's too short (It might be 60mm long, but the supplied bolt only goes about 10mm into the thread) and it's just ordinary aluminium. It's not even capable of bearing the tightening torque without suffering, let alone protecting the bike in the event of a crash. The left hand one is pretty solid, though.

Motrax did tell me that the bolt would be replaced with a longer one when they refunded mine- I was lucky enough to have it fail on fitting instead of in the line of duty- but I really don't think it has. Really it needs a longer bolt, and a steel spacer. In fact, really it needs to not bolt up in that position at all, but to go through the engine like all the good mushrooms do.

If I was buying new ones tomorrow, I'd buy GSG Moko (cheap on Ebay...) or JHS. My old R&Gs served very well, I couldn't find fault with them at all, but people whose opinions I trust totally found them too weak- and it seemed to be as much machining as design flaws too. I sold mine planning to fit a set of lowers, and after 2 big crashes and one smaller one, they were still in great condition (I'd replaced the rubbers, mind)

I replaced those with the new R&Gs, which are very good. The bolts that retain teh bungs bend quite easily but don't snap- this means the bungs themselves will be good for only one big crash, but on the other hand bending like that will absob a huge amount of energy in a crash. The replacement parts are very expensive though- more for 2 rubbers and a bolt than an entire set of Ebay GSG Mokos would be!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote