SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old Today, 12:10 PM   #1
Ketharrow

Default Rebuilding/overhauling my gen1

Good evening everyone, i hope i find you all well! 🙂
Wanted to ask for some opinion/advice and maybe get pointed towards the right direction.
It is regarding the cylinder barrels.
I'm rebuilding my gen1 and with the cylinder's measurements I've taken so far it looks like the barrels are neither round or cylindrical any more and in some parts of it out of the manual's given limits.
There are a couple of vertical scratches but not deep. I've read that busa pistons are a common swap, needing a bit of honing at the same time to compensate for the piston to barrel clearance specs. The next option if i want to keep stock bore is the Gladius' cylinders if they are compatible with the rest of the gen1 engine block(any advantage of the upgraded plated cylinder sleeves(?)). Another option is reboring the existing ones to 83mm which in that case i don't know if it'd also need stronger conrods-crank(?)
Also i have been thinking of trying to get the sleeves out and have new made and fitted. Has anyone had any experience going down that road?
If anyone has any info to share please do so.

Any help is more than appreciated!!🙂
Ketharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:21 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rebuilding/overhauling my gen1

I can't offer any real advice on this but I have heard that busa pistons do fit. It might be worth looking at James Holland Racing website. James knows SV's inside out and developed the original 750 conversion.

https://www.jhsracing.co.uk/

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old Today, 09:27 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rebuilding/overhauling my gen1

There's a photo thread here about Haybusa pistons. Not sure which model of SV it refers to though.

**Edit** Just looked and it's for a Pointy.

Last edited by garynortheast; Today at 09:29 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote