SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-10, 11:37 PM   #1
PhilCBR

Default Rebuilding SV after blow-up

Hi guys (and gals too!),

After getting fed up working with the SV after it blew up (See this ), i have finally decided to put the new engine in and rebuild the bike. I have the engine in and wired. Now I need to look at the carbs, but I am not too happy with them. Before I go too far building it I have a question about the carbs.

When I look down into the carbs from above I can pull back the black plastic disc connected to the jet needle on the rear carb and it slides shut in less than a second. The front one however moves very slowly and sometimes doesn't go all the way closed. Should I be looking at the big spring behind the top cover? Does anyone have any experience of these things sticking? A bit of WD40 has helped, but I don't want to spray the carb with WD40 to free it up only to have problems after a few miles.

Any opinions received,

Cheers,

Phil
Old 04-04-10, 11:56 PM   #2
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rebuilding SV after blow-up

You've blown up an SV engine....you need to speak to Squirrel_Hunter...he's blown up three now...lol.

I know nothing about bikes, but if a bit of WD40 has helped, then it is obviously meant to move more freely and so yes, I'd be looking at the mechanisms that control it. (like I said, I know nothing).

You'll get plenty of help inthe morning I'm sure
Old 05-04-10, 12:30 AM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
You've blown up an SV engine....you need to speak to Squirrel_Hunter...he's blown up three now...lol.
Its 5 actually.

Not much I can add as help to this one, but if they are moving at different rates I'd look at the linkage that connects the pair as a first stop. Or I'd wait for some of the more knowledgeable among us to log on...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-10, 01:01 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Those slides are controlled by vacuum, no linkage.

Sounds like you have some crap stopping them from closing, you need to sort this. Remove the top and slider, get a small screwdriver with a rag over it soaked in solvent and gently scrape the groove that the slider runs in
Old 05-04-10, 01:02 PM   #5
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Ok, maybe not plenty of help this morning.....but seeing as it's from YC, you can't really ask for more so hope it works!
Old 06-04-10, 08:40 PM   #6
PhilCBR

Thanks guys, carbs now working great!!!! One more thing to tick off the incredibly long list!!.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 06-04-10, 09:00 PM   #7
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Good to hear it Phil...although I didn't actually help you at all
Old 21-04-10, 03:23 PM   #8
PhilCBR

Hi Guys,

I am looking some ideas from you regarding the chain on my SV. When I refitted the engine I didn't put the chain around the front sprocket, so now the chain is hanging below the front sprocket. (Please see badly done photo attached http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/philcatherwood/SVchain.jpg ). Because the sprocket and its spline come out so far I can't lift the chain around it (chain has minimal side-to-side flex). Also the front sprocket is proving to be difficult to remove.

Options?
Drop engine again? Break and rejoin chain? Keep working to get front sprocket off (this still might not let the chain get over the spline!)

Thanks,

Phil
Old 21-04-10, 03:29 PM   #9
TazDaz

Break and rejoining the chain would be the simplest solution surely?
Old 21-04-10, 03:38 PM   #10
davepreston

i would use a very thin sheet of metal to slide chain back over sprocket (makes it easier) , this is easy as long as the chain is not still round the rear sprocket (on padock stand wheel off is best)
ive done this loads of time on my curvy