SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-14, 11:55 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Operation: Commute

For the past 3 years I've been fortunate enough to live between a 5 and 15 minute walk from the office. But life is not like a vending machine, change is inevitable and so the news as expected was poorly communicated that we were moving office. Initially I was a little bit miffed but if the great philosopher Homer has taught me anything its that the Chinese have the same word for crisis as they do opportunity; crisitunity. I'm going to have to go back to commuting, but how?

Yes I could walk, but it would take to long. Yes I could cycle but I'm lazy. Yes I could drive the cage, but there is little to no parking at the new site. So its back to the bike for me. I used to ride all the time, for 10 years my only transport was my bike but I was starting to tire of it and not having to ride all the time, initially by learning to drive and then by not having a real commute made my time in the saddle far more enjoyable again so I don't want to loose that enthuasum for riding that I have regained these past few years.

The next consideration is the bike. Strechie has the same issue as me. For the distance that I have to travel (approximately a 4 mile round trip) I have to ask is the SV the best bike for this? Stretchie summed up his commute by Blackbird as a waste of tyre, and he's right. No real corners and a fair bit of unused potential in the bike. His solution was to buy a cheap Chinese 125. He plans to see if the reputation of these machines is deserved. I think this is a good idea, not the Chinese bit, but the 125 to commute on.

So the search was on, which 125 to get... I considered a fair few machines while helping Strechie with his choice. Something like a CR125 or DT125 - a trailie or off roader light and tall but having sat on one I decided it was not really what I'd wanted. I thought about the bikes I idolised at 16 and 17, an Aprilia RS125, a Cagiva Mito, I even thought of the 50cc versions and things like the Derbi GPR, the Sachs Madass. Then off to comedy like a Honda Melody. But sense took hold.

The Yamaha YSR80 is a bike I quite like but any would need a lot of work to bring it up to scratch, as would my TZR125, or a later model. I don't think using my TZR250 would be sensible and other 250 2Strokes would end up going the same way, but a RS250 is a bike to covert.

I think its time to rule out the strokers, 4 stokes are what i'm looking at. The Honda CG125 would do the job perfectly but doesn't have any style. Something like a VT125 has the style but isn't what I would call a commuter bike. Things were getting tough. Test riding bikes gave me a go on the Peugeot Satelis 250. Great bike for commuting and really useful, but it didn't really appeal at this point I want some fun.

A left field idea due to the distance was the Yamaha EC-03, an all electric bike. But Stretchie pointed out that this might be a bad idea due to the history I have of electricity falling out of my bikes.

More thought and KTM Duke 350 was my next idea, trouble is price is also a consideration so the 200 and the 125 was ruled out. But their racer styled one is cracking. I could always buy a 450cc crosser and convert it to one of those single cylinder road race bikes. But I need some thing to use from day one and not another project. And this is a hunt for a 125.

Then it dawned on me. There is one bike that fits the bill perfectly. I couldn't believe how long it took to reach the decision. I remember when it came out I thought it was just the greatest bike that had hit the street in the last 5 years. But it needed time to mature and have a second hand market. I did think about new as it is a cheap bike from the off, but some salesmen really know how to talk themselves out of a sale.

With the decision made on the make and model it was just a case of finding the right bike. So the search was on. I had chosen the colour I wanted, yellow, trouble is I couldn't find one all I could find was white bikes and I didn't fancy that. But then I had an idea... and white would fit.

So this thread is to document the evolution of a simple commuter bike as I intend to make a couple of modifications, planned or unplanned.

"But what bike?", I hear you ask.

"I recognise that" you say.

Yes, its a Honda. But which one?

Its the most awesome Honda MSX125.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 03:03 AM   #2
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Operation: Commute

Was the LHS bar grip an optional extra you didn't want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 05:06 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Operation: Commute

Me likey. I think these are a great idea, a bike designed around a small engine rather than trying to be something it isn't.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 03-07-14, 08:05 AM   #4
SvNewbie

Not come across one of those before. Looks like a decent bit of kit, almost certainly more fun, faster and cheaper than getting on the bus. Good luck!
Old 03-07-14, 08:07 AM   #5
Geodude
Mega Poster

Aye not to bad looking, maybe a bit hornet like.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 09:11 AM   #6
shiftin_gear98

Wow a quick Googlefu for images of this little beasty and a few people out there have gone to town on these bikes, please say you'll do the same....
Old 03-07-14, 09:12 AM   #7
shiftin_gear98

Hopefully you don't look quite like this sat on it though....now wondering what I used to look like on my YBR..

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 09-07-19 at 11:06 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 09:16 AM   #8
shiftin_gear98

Last one, maybe one mod too far...she is a 125 after all.
This bad boy reaches a stonking 60 mph flat out...can't wait to see what you do to yours.
Loved the last project.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 09-07-19 at 11:06 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 11:34 AM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Sometimes your newsfeed just provides the right thing at the right time.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Should save some time on the trip the the desk...

Jambo
Old 03-07-14, 11:47 AM   #10
Skip
Mega Poster

I see one most days - they are tiddly! Ooozes cool though

I had your dilemma for my 16 mile round trip commute and went for the cheap as possible option (tired old GS125) - which is working out well for me - 210 miles on £12 of petrol - cant help but smile when I ride it either