SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-10-11, 12:31 PM   #11
coldtyres

Default Re: Lack of front end grip

Yeah the shed has a concrete floor.
Time for new tyres then it seems.
I think new tyres would give me some fresh confidence for another track day.
coldtyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-11, 07:28 PM   #12
saintnick

There are so many parameters here.....

tyres (I wouldnt use Pilot 2s on a track day and expect faultless performance) and suspension set up (& condition) being top of the list. Ride height settings and pre-load can radically change how the bike feels. Start with the tyres, next time avoid sports tourer type rubber. ST tyres are primarily for tyre life; on the track you want grip at the expense of high miles ability

To be honest if the front was sliding and gripping again leaned over, at the apex, and this was happening repeatedly, it can't have been that bad otherwise at some point you'd have been on the floor. Again that makes me think the tyre is not gripping quite as much as you need. Don't overdo trailing the front brake on questionable tyres, that could be part of the issue.

Last edited by saintnick; 27-10-11 at 07:29 PM.
Old 27-10-11, 08:52 PM   #13
Geese

I had similar things with my bike on the track (curvy 03) the bike used to fall in the middle of the turn on me a few times.

At least you did do what I did and keep pushing regardless. For my lack of trusting my own instincts i got a lovely lowside crash.

I put it down to the BT021 i had on were over 4 years old. I was running Standard shock and forks. When I changed to new tyres (pilot Power) I found the bike is much more willing to turn and more grip than i think is there.

But I do know the bike when pushed on the roads is still dull and numb in the front even with the new tyres. This is my SVs biggest weakness.

My point is. You might find you will need the suspension upgrades anyway.
Old 27-10-11, 09:10 PM   #14
coldtyres

Definitely sounds like the same thing Geese.

Compared to my mates superduke the sv wallows a bit on the track.
I might look into doing the suspension mods. I know there are loads of posts on this so I will stat searching. But just as a final thing what tyres would be best for mainly track days and only weekend riding. As of next year we are moving and i will be on the train hence the sv can be shod with more track focused tyres.
coldtyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-11, 11:41 PM   #15
saintnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtyres View Post
I might look into doing the suspension mods.
to be fair, what do you expect? FWIW the S'duke has excellent WP suspension as standard, in standard spec its still one of the most agile bikes you'll find. Its a naked bike designed for full on riding and has ride position, geometry and suspenders specifically put together with that aim in mind. The design brief was a very long way from the SV's, never mind one with an ageing rear shock.

From what you said I thought your front end had already been attended to, so IMO try different tyres next time out (on track). I've got a hunch that if you had Racetecs instead of PP2s this problem would vanish. You may still have to deal with that rear shock, though. Good luck with it.
Old 28-10-11, 08:04 AM   #16
Geese

Quote:
Definitely sounds like the same thing Geese.

I might look into doing the suspension mods. I know there are loads of posts on this so I will stat searching. But just as a final thing what tyres would be best for mainly track days and only weekend riding. As of next year we are moving and i will be on the train hence the sv can be shod with more track focused tyres.
I have Pilot Power 2CT which i am very satisfied with.... I haven't tested them on the track yet (I think one crash a year is enough) . I might do another trackday next year. For yourself if you're not doing high miles then just get the grippiest tyres you know the ones! If you're stuck go to a race meet at the track and spy on who's using what and what time they're doing. If they're on an SV and in the top 10 of their class take a note!

Similar to you my friend has a 950sm and since the winter is coming we actually do a lot more riding on B roads and country lanes. More adventure and exploration, the softness of the SV actually really suits this so I haven't modded the front of mine (yet).

And anyway, I'm not fond of the idea of spending huge bucks on a an aging bike. Sorry guys but it is true.
Old 28-10-11, 11:12 AM   #17
saintnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese View Post
More adventure and exploration, the softness of the SV actually really suits this so I haven't modded the front of mine (yet).

And anyway, I'm not fond of the idea of spending huge bucks on a an aging bike. Sorry guys but it is true.
And quite right too, I mentioned somewhere else on here that the softeness of an OE set up is actually quite well suited to winter and B roads. To a certain extent just by altering the air gap and oil (and oil weight) you can do a fair bit with front feel. Also spot on about the dosh, insane to chuck serious money at £1k hack (in my case). Doen't mean you can't have fun

But the OP was talking about the apex and track days and getting it cranked over and a bike that wasn't gripping, totally different scenario. Good as PP2s are (I'm just about to try 3s) if you want to do repeated track days, I wouldn't choose em.
Old 28-10-11, 06:36 PM   #18
tim8061

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Tyres will go off big time if left on concrete, depends what your shed floor is?
Interesting - how does that work then?

I've read rumours of people parking their bikes on pieces of wood "to insulate the tyres from the cold floor" - sounds like b*****s to me. The garage, bike and everything in it is going to be the same temperature if there's no heating, and I bet 99% of garages are unheated.
Old 28-10-11, 07:59 PM   #19
maviczap
Mega Poster

There's reaction between the conrete and the oil in the tyre, which leeches out into the concrete.

So its not to insulate them from the cold floor, but to isolate them from the concrete floor, which doesn't do the tyres any good.

Every been to a tyre fitting place, none I know of, store new tyres on bare concrete floors.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-11, 11:18 PM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
As of next year we are moving and i will be on the train hence the sv can be shod with more track focused tyres.
Don't get anything to track focused if most of your riding is still on the road. Super sticky track rubber is only super sticky when at track temperature, and that doesn't happen very often on the road.... You would be far better off getting a good road tyre that will work well enough on the track to make something else the limiting factor.....like the rider or suspension..

I'm a big Dunlop fan and something like their Sportsmart, or even the Roadsmart might be worth looking at.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote