SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-15, 08:48 PM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy Swingarm Play Reduction Shims

Word of warning, don't fit oversize shims as it will lock the arm up when you torque the job up.

Either use it like an adjustable bearing (i.e nip it to take the play out and CHECK after you tightened the locknut, it will move!) at your discretion, not recommended bla bla bla.

Or get some of these shims and flick them down on the surface grinder... but since they're 316 have fun doing that as they won't stick to a mag table.

At half a mm they're probably about right but err on the side of slight play rather than locked up solid.
Old 23-05-15, 09:12 PM   #22
Bibio
Mega Poster

justifiable warning from YC.

if you do fit them and they bind up then you more than likely wont need them anyway. if this happens you can just send them back to me for a full no quibble refund as per all my goodies. you could also use only 1 of them on the sprocket side.

these are reduction shims not elimination shims. to fully remove play you would need to be in a kitted out workshop.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-15, 09:14 PM   #23
Bibio
Mega Poster

[QUOTE=Bibio;3012174]List:
electricheadx...x2...
Bias............x1...Paid
Jayneflakes.....x1...Paid
andrewsmith.....x1...
muzikill........x1...
Old 23-05-15, 09:20 PM   #24
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
justifiable warning from YC.

if you do fit them and they bind up then you more than likely wont need them anyway. if this happens you can just send them back to me for a full no quibble refund as per all my goodies. you could also use only 1 of them on the sprocket side.

these are reduction shims not elimination shims. to fully remove play you would need to be in a kitted out workshop.
Aye just use either one or two. If there was say 0.6mm of play then it would still be well worth getting rid of.

But the majority of the pointy spacers are 1.2mm overlength or there abouts. Seems a faulty batch done to the wrong dimension rather than not holding tolerance.
Old 23-05-15, 09:29 PM   #25
Bibio
Mega Poster

i dont know why suzuki do this. one of the explanations i have come up with is that it moves the needles in the cage more on the bush to keep them from flattening but i could be totally wrong on that part. or its just suzuki being suzuki being lazy about tolerance. in my younger days i was always told that if there was even the slightest of play in the swingarm then it was an MOT failure, no iffs no butts.

when i complained about it when i got my new K8 i was give the blurb 'they are all like that sir' i said 'bull crap' so i was given free reign in the PDI workshop of Cupar MC's to try a few out of crate bikes and low and behold most of the suzuki range of bikes had the exact same play.
Old 23-05-15, 09:44 PM   #26
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Negative. Look in any technical bearing catalogue there are none that suggest you need or want axial movement on a needle roller. Variously they say they don't need constraining in that direction but that's a very different thing to wanting them to move.

They fooked up, plain and simple! IMO!
Old 24-05-15, 09:35 AM   #27
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

The tolerance thing seems to be hit and miss
The tester I use has come across a couple but most had worn bearings or weren't nipped up properly

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-15, 01:22 PM   #28
prokartman

Hello Bibio , may I have a pair please , let me know your Paypal ID and I will pay you ASAP , thanks .
prokartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-15, 08:38 PM   #29
CodeJACK

Couple of months too late for me but they look the job for sure.

Its a job worth doing. Might be just placebo but my K3 feels much better in corners since removing the play.
CodeJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-15, 09:45 PM   #30
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJACK View Post
Couple of months too late for me but they look the job for sure.

Its a job worth doing. Might be just placebo but my K3 feels much better in corners since removing the play.
yup but you also replaced the bearings at the same time so your back end is actually doing the job it was designed to do and having less play in the swingarm will stop the play transfering to the front when you crack the throttle open for the exit. the play is not apparent till you hit ripples on long sweeping bends.

i can pretty much guarantee that any SV650 k3> with 25+k miles will have burgred linkage and swingarm bearings if they have never been serviced and this is why most people say it feels fine as the bearings are partially seized up and they dont know it, add to that most people think that hard suspension is how it should be when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

i completely serviced my bikes swingarm and linkage bearings at around 3k miles and they are now feked at 27K miles. same goes for a lot of folk who have examined the bearings at around 25k miles to discover the same.

the play is not picked up at most MOT stations as they dont have a stand capable of lifting the swingarm free (abba stand) and what normally happens is they get someone else to pull the bike over on the side stand or pop it up on a paddock stand and then check for play which will not show up.